metro mama

Monday, June 11, 2007

Summer Just Got a Whole Lot Busier

Edited to add: I still have a copy of Fahrenheit Twins up for grabs! Email me at metro_mama@hotmail.com

As you know, I just finally finished my undergrad and was looking forward to having a leisurely summer before starting the MA in September. I was on the waiting list for a course that is completely up my alley, but was not too disappointed about not getting in.

So, guess what. I had coffee last week with a friend who’s already in the program who happened to mention she had just dropped the course. Against my better judgement I made enquiries and as “luck” would have it, I’m in. This is really good news. It will be a big help to get a jump on the program and it will just mean next summer will be lighter (and might allow us to begin project #2 a little sooner). Plus it looks like a fabulous course—it’s a study of short stories centred around Alice Munro’s Runaway as well as stories by Poe, de Maupassant, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Joyce, Lawrence, Hemingway, Mansfield, O’Connor, Borges, Olsen, Carver, Atwood and a few others. It should be a pleasure.

But I just need to get used to the idea of a 25-page research paper due in August when I was planning to be drinking beer by the lake. Sigh.

***

McHotty returned home yesterday after 5 days on a major exercise (he’s on a heavy urban search and rescue team). Was I ever glad to see him. How the fack do people parent solo? It’s exhausting.

I made him a nice dinner of rainbow trout and lots of veggies (the poor man had to eat army rations all week). I had leftover Indian two nights, and pizza two nights.

Cakes punished him a little but they’re best buds again. I think they’re going to head to the park later so I can deal with this messy house.

***

Happy happy 30th to my wonderful, beautiful sisters. I got lucky the day in-laws were handed out!

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

Why didn't you let me know you were flying solo? I would have had you over for dinner and playtime with Cakes...

oh and like HUGE congrats on the MA program. It may change the tomne of your time at the dock, but it is great news nonetheless.

12:13 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

i meant tone, not tomne.

sigh

12:14 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

That does sound like an interesting course. Congratulations.

Also, de Maupassant came from the same place in France as one of my ancestors. Genealogy research is under way to prove (or disprove) the connection.

2:17 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I'm so glad you got into the course! You're going to rock it - you know that.

3:48 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Ooh, it does seem like there is never a real break sometimes, doesn't it? Like it's true that we will rest when we are dead? But that does sound so you, I bet you will enjoy it, despite the looming essay.

(And god, it's painful when they have to be away. I've often wondered how a single woman makes the decision to become a mom on her own.)

3:53 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

(I meant, as opposed to moms who lose a husband or leave a marriage and are plunged into it because they don't have a choice or it's the better option.)

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations you smartie pants you!

Being alone with the kiddies sucks. I know of what I speak. I am a big fan of all food that comes in a canned, boxed or microwavable format.

Yummy.

Any time you want me to cook for you, just let me know. I'll break out the brand name stuff just for YOU! None of that no name crap for my girlfriends!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

BIG CONGRATS!!!!

4:24 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Do I say summer courses tend to be a little more laid back or will that curse you?
25 pages is a lot but maybe cakes and her computer can help, at least with the formatting.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Congratulations! Summer courses are always strangely much more fun.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Hey congratulations! Have fun with that reading.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

Wow! that course sounds AWESOME! Not as good as beers by the lake, but awesome nonetheless! :)

Rainbow trout -- how gourmet of you, metro! ;) Sounds wonderful!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Congrads on the undergrad!!

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on your course and thanks for the birthday wishes!!!

To my thirties and beyond!!!!!

lots of love

8:19 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Well, that just means it was meant to be now doesn't it? I love it when Fate kicks in like that. Congrats!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.