metro mama

Friday, May 26, 2006

The Waste Land
















what branches grow/out of this stony rubbish? --t.s. eliot

Cakes decided to get up way too early this morning. But that’s OK--I'm less pissed at her than I would have been at the bulldozers and jackhammers that were out in full force at 7 AM. I needed to be up anyway for the drywaller who is coming at 8 (to repair the results of our flooded basement last week).

We purchased an infill townhouse in an “up-and-coming” neighbourhood. That was three years ago actually..before we were married…before we had a baby. We finally moved in when Cakes was seven-months-old (until then she slept in her playpen in the dining area of our one-bedroom apartment--the reason she is such a great sleeper now).

I don’t mean to whine (we love the house), but does it ever end? When will I be able to go to the kitchen in my underwear without worrying about been seen by some guy working back there? When will S. put up the shelf in the laundry room? When we will have grass? I am dying to get my hands in the garden. Every time I go to Loblaws I press my nose against the fence of the garden centre like a child and a toy store. Baby Cakes wants to play in her minuscule patch of grass.

I am never moving again. I’m recording this angst so I will have something to remind me in case we ever get some irrational desire to move to the ‘burbs.

On the bright side, with the absence of fences, we are getting to know our neighbours. It’s been kinda fun kvetching on each other’s back steps over a glass of wine.

I think there is hope--there's a guy planting a tree in my front yard as I type.

I managed to watch the premiere of SYTYCD last night (lovely S. rescued the TV from the sodden basement--if you’re reading, thanks honey). I think the Greek girl will be this season’s Melody. She won’t get my vote--way too perky for my taste. My early money is on that guy who can pop like there’s no tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how well he can Tango.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

Dearest Metro mama...do not despair. Your house is FAB, the yard will be FAB and the basement will dry out.And hey, let those workers know about you in your undies...I say go out and scream at them (in your undies). And they will think Crazy Lady and get the job done faster.
What is SYTYCD, I am always looking for another addiction.....Anne

9:43 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

SYTYCD is So You Think You Can Dance, the dance equivalent of Idol. Each week the finalists draw partners and dance styles and perform a number. It's great fun watching the ballroom dancers do hip-hop and vice-versa. Dan, the equivalent of Simon, is appropriately caustic.

Good times.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

The Eliot quote made me laugh!

I've been feeling like such a newbie around the blogosphere, I was so excited to find your blog this morning, a few whole days newer than mine. I, too, have just found myself joining/about to join the ranks of the SAHMs (with a little bit of WAHM thrown in, but not much). For the entire duration of my marriage, I've basically been the breadwinner while hubby has been in school, and now that it looks like he may actually have a job lined up (at last!) I'm kind of in shock. My job, at the same time, seems to be dwindling into nothing - it's not an easy transition. I look forward to reading what you have to say about it.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell diaper cakes. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.