metro mama

Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Better Way?

I’ve been all self-congratulatory lately about taking the TTC most of the time, but in truth, the “better way” has been pissing me off a lot lately.

Yesterday I left early so I’d have time to hit the library before class. I took the streetcar to University and the University line was down between Union and Spadina. I had to walk back to Yonge, transfer at Bloor, and transfer again at Spadina, totally killing my extra time. And of course, once I was back on my route the problems on the University line were fixed. I just about lost my mind.

Also driving me crazy lately is the other people. I can usually tune them out, but in the past few days I have been inundated by the TTC folks I hate the most:

The Stinkers

Don’t people know not to wear scents when they’re going to be in close quarters with other people? It’s so fucking inconsiderate. It wouldn’t be so bad if they wore good scents, but the strong smellers are usually wearing some Avon shit that makes me gag. Even worse is when the scent is a poor attempt to cover some underlying BO. And no, don’t read this and think I’m pregnant, I always have the nose of a bloodhound.

The Fidgeters

I’m so easily distracted when I’m trying to read, it drives me crazy when people are pacing back and forth. The other day I was sitting down, reading and the guy next to me wouldn’t stop jumping all over the place. He kept grabbing the pole right next to my face, startling me every time and making me lose my place. To add insult to injury, he kept pressing his buttocks on the plexiglass just inches from my face. I had to move.

The Crazies

I sat down on the streetcar the other day and bumped the seat in front of me. The woman occupying it turned around and glared at me, which I just ignored. A couple of stops later, a guy getting off the car brushed against her—she kicked him and shouted “that’s what you get!” I made a mental note to be careful not to bump her and kept my nose in my book. A few stops later, she turned around and shouted at me, “if you do that one more time I’ll smash your fucking head in!” I quietly changed seats.

However, as irritating as all these folks are, I’m still more tolerant of them than I am of the asshole on the 401 who cuts me off in his SUV while he talks on his cell phone.

Tell me your commuting tales of woe.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

How about being 8 months pregnant and STANDING all the way from York Mills to Coxwell because not one inconsiderate fucker would offer me a seat. And it happens all the time, so I just started driving to work.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Yeah, I'm with Kgirl. This morning I stood from Runnymede to Yonge without one offer of a seat. And it does happen all the time. It's gotten so bad that to get a seat, I just wait till I see a car with one available. I'm always ALWAYS late for work.

The Crazies seek me out, I swear. Don't know what it is about me, but it must stop.

And the Incessant Make-up Artists, too. Man, if you're putting mascara for 20 minutes then YOU ARE WEARING TOO MUCH MASCARA. Please stop before I grab it out of your hand and fling it at you.

I'm testy.

1:24 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

I am SO with you on the scents... especially with the added BO problem. Also massive amounts of hairspray.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

...don't forget the guy that sits down beside you and asks for your e-mail address, or the person who, for no apparent reason, sits right next to you even though the car is mostly empty.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Hey! Some Avon perfumes are very nice! Maybe I'm just not wearing ENOUGH.
I used to attract perverts when I wrote public transit - men who deeply admired my feet, to name the very least disgusting fetishists.

7:47 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I had to move last week because the lady sitting next to me kept scratching at her head nonstop. I couldn't stop imagining what was going on up there... erlack!

And the people who perform personal maintenance. The nail clippers, for example. Blech. And one time in NYC, the lady who was plucking chin hairs out with a tweezer. Gah!

8:16 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Ooh, one of my personal favorites are the people that insist on talking to you even though you are very obviously reading your book/magazine. Extra points for those who talk to you despite the obvious use of headphones.

And definitely... the people that don't give up their seat for the elderly/disabled/pregnant/children are at the top of list of assholes.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm with kittenpie...the nail clippers give me the heebie jeebies...I'm cringing just thinking about it.

As for not giving up seats, pregnant ladies, go to the area where the sign is (seats for elderly, etc) and ASK.

It works. Find someone who looks like they SHOULD give up there seat. Look tired, and sad and all that (quite easy, really, when pregnant) and say "excuse me? May I please sit down?" with a nice smile.

It does work.

But yes, they SHOULD give up their seat.

8:20 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

You were distracted by buttocks on the plexiglass. I'm distracted by these words. They read like poetry.

My woe today was that a parking cop had stopped to give someone a ticket and he thoughtlessly blocked the entrance to the parking lot. Maybe he was being proactive in trying to create more business for himself.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me very glad to live out in the sticks, all by my lonesome...

12:45 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

stepping in human urine on the elevator at Dundas West with littlegirl in a stroller and bigirl holding my hand just about did me in.

and what Kgirl said.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

I've been on public transport once, in Chicago. It skeeved me out. Josh thought is was the coolest thing ever. LOL.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh this takes me back to the Queen streetcar, home of many stinkers and crazies...

11:01 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

The Crazies can be the best entertainment on the TTC.
I think the worst is that people won't give up their seat for someone who needs it. Selfish jerks!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Regarding scents - A woman in my office building just taped a big sign to her door saying, "no perfumes or colognes." Not sure who she works with, but I guess they're getting the message now!

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to take the train. It took me no longer than it would driving, it was better for the environment, etc. etc.

Until this one guy sat down next to me and was coughing and snorting and sniffing the whole way and I was trapped between him and the wall.

And the other thing. The 28 day pass was $185. I'd lose 3-10 days on it every month because I'd have an evening meeting or a contract after work.

I have a 2007 Honda Fit. It costs me $120 or less on gas every month to drive into work. And I can leave whenever I want.

The last straw was when my car was in for maintenance so I was taking the skytrain to Partner's work to meet up with him. I have my backpack (with laptop, iPod, book, lunch paraphernelia, etc. in it). He literally shoves me out of the way to get on the train - nearly knocked me down (and I am reasonably solid). I missed the skytrain because it had actually broken down and was extra crowded.

I drive. I will pay for convenience.

12:40 PM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

Oh gawd, bad scents slathered on top of BO. Nothing worse. Nauseating.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I hate, hate, hate the stinking people with strong perfume.
It might as well be BO.

And older people are usually the biggest offenders. It's like they've burned their nose sensors.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hate the TTC ... but my son LOVES it. The worse the tale, the bigger the adventure for him.

Sigh.

Miss you. Must see you soon. xoxox

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.