metro mama

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Hills Are Alive

I’ve had the best intentions of blogging this week, but this is the first time I’ve been out of bed in 48 hours for longer than enough time to make a cup of tea. Despite having got the damn flu shot, I’ve managed to get the flu for the second year in a row. I came home from work at noon Friday, and have been stuck in bed cursing the gods since. But enough of that (I hate whining about being sick as much as you hate listening to it). On to something interesting.

The week started great with the first meeting of my new book club! I have been wanting to start a book club for years, but being a student for so long, never had the time. Finishing school left this lovely gap I could think of no better way to fill than by asking some of my best pals to get together once a month for an excuse to drink wine and talk a lot. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun. The first meeting proved us all to have a wide and varying range of interest (and a lot to say) so I think it’s guaranteed our meetings will be very interesting to say the least.

The next night I took my mum to see the Mirvish production of The Sound of Music. This is probably my all time favourite movie, and this production did not disappoint. Maria was absolutely marvellous. She won the role on a reality show (which I wish I’d seen) and her win is most well deserved. She sung the hell out of my beloved songs, and was the perfect mix of strength and vulnerability. I wasn’t too keen on Captain Von Trapp at first (how can anyone compare to Christopher Plummer) but I warmed up when sang Edelweiss. It made me cry, and that’s my barometer. The kids were wonderful (I kept picturing someone try to direct Cakes as Gretl—good luck). The set was unbelievable, except there was a very awkward mishap when a background got stuck on the way down, and there was about 5 minutes of silence while they tried to fix it. Finally a stage-hand had to come out and make adjustments. Ouch. My only other criticism was Liesl and Rolf’s gazebo number—it’s so elegant in the movie, and in this production it was comedic and awkward. But overall, I loved the show. Has anyone else see it?

Now, where’s my tea?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, no! Feel better, hon.

I'm glad that the show wads good, at least. Pumkinpie is totally starting to get into that movie - I might buy it for her.

8:50 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Oh, ugh. I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy.

Sound of Music sounds fantastic. Mr Babbler and I really have to see it before its over.

9:16 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I forgot you had tickets for the show. Cakes does have Gretl hair.


I am just reading the first book and I think I am going to be up all night - I love it.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I DID see the reality show, and she was my favourite almost from the start, so I am very curious to see the show. I had heard that the Captain is not so hot.

Feel better. xoA

10:50 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Yuck, I hope you're feeling better soon.

This post brought back some memories. I was in The Sound Of Music in high school. I played a nun, which was really rather comical.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Kyla said...

We've been sick, too. I think today is the first time I've left the house since Thursday. Seems like forever!

Feel better!

8:33 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

oh hon. it sucks to be sick.

we never get the shot and hardly ever get the flu.

just watch the universe will strike me down for my arrogence.

get better soon!

11:18 AM  
Blogger knitrovert said...

The flu hurts, bitch all you want. Lately in the news there are reports that the flu shot this year completely missed the mark. Although it contained strains from last year, the flu is a frisky one this year and has mutated far beyond last year's cocktail.

Boo-urns. I hope you feel better soon.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

i saw it twice. once with friends and once i took Emily to see it. i loved it both times. and looking over at my girl, watching and singing along, i was a weepy, weepy mess ;)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.