metro mama

Thursday, July 02, 2009

February



I’m on a great roll with picking up books that can hold my attention enough to read them in just a few sittings. That is the best way to read a book, I think—it really changes the experience for me if it takes me a long time to finish something. I think that’s why I love short stories so much. You usually get to experience the story the way the author intends. It’s funny, we’re much more aware of this when it comes to movies, but we don’t think about pace as much in terms of books.

My latest one-day conquest is Lisa Moore’s February, a real gem. The book centres around a true event in 1982, when the oil rig Ocean Ranger sank off the coast of Newfoundland during a Valentine's Day storm. All eighty-four men aboard died. February is the fictional story of Helen O'Mara, widow of one of the drowned men. The narrative jumps back and forth from the present-day to the days surrounding the tragedy in 1982, with occasion forays to the early days of Helen and Cal’s relationship, and the years between. Helen and Cal were very deeply in love, and the loss of that love is abrupt and paralyzing. Left to raise four children on her own, Helen is haunted by the fact that Cal’s death could have been prevented had the men received the necessary training. The structure of the book and the emphasis on time shows time does not heal all wounds; but, eventually, it allows one to move forward, incrementally, scars and all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

Love all your book recommendations! Am crossing fingers and toes that the new babe will be THE most laidback babe so that you can keep on reading...and I can continue reaping the benefit of your choices.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:33 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Your book reviews always suck me completely in. Definitely going to pick this one up now, too!

1:35 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I love reading books over a weekend or a few days, so much so that I gave up reading books for so long after katie was born, I find it so unsatisfying to read in small chunks. I've never understood people who just read a chapter at night.
So glad you are getting some books in before Sherwood arrives!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.