metro mama

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Waiting Game

When I had Cakes, I finished work on a Friday, three weeks before my due date, with plans to relax and enjoy those last childfree days. Monday morning I was sent straight from my Dr. appointment to the hospital to be induced (a hellish process that ended up taking days). I felt really cheated.

This time, I finished work three weeks before my due date, hoping for a week to relax (never dreaming I would go to term). Now, mere days from 40 weeks I’m starting to lose my mind! I've spent time with Cakes. I’ve gone for a pedicure, saw the new Harry Potter (it was pretty good, but I wanted to see more of the women), had a dinner party, gone for lunch, brunch, cappuccino, and read about 10 books (seriously!) I know I shouldn’t complain, and I am grateful. This pregnancy couldn’t be more different than the last: I weigh 20 pounds less, I’m wearing the same sized shoes and I’m sleeping OK. But now I just want to get on with things. I hate not knowing when things are going to happen. I’m using up maternity leave time. I want to get used to the baby before girls weekend in August! This holding pattern is making me a little crazy (and bitchy).

So, I’m going for long walks. We’re having Indian tonight. I’m even thinking about resorting to having sex. Did any of this stuff work for any of you? Did anyone else go overdue with their second or third child? I’m seeing my midwife tomorrow, and she’ll offer a stretch and sweep. Has anyone done this? Did it work? I know, I’m an asshole and I need to relax and stop complaining, but I can’t!

13 Comments:

Blogger naomicatgirl said...

Did the stretch & sweep. Also, my midwife suggested evening oil of primrose.

Worked.

I would have done the cod liver oil thing if I had to go too much longer with my second. Those last few days are just HORRIBLE!

Good thoughts, and an easy labour to you!

3:02 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Had sex, 3 stretch & sweeps, ate spicy food, walked and had accupuncture.

You know how it all turned out.

The good part is that my baby was as mellow and chill outside as she was inside.

No matter what, it won't be long now. Would more evening ice cream help?

9:09 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Nothing worked for me except Pitocin, both times. And short of drinking Castor oil, I tried it all when I was pregnant with Julia. I kind of gave up when I was pregnant with Oliver and just waited for the eviction, in the form of an IV drip.

(Although my best friend did the Castor oil thing and delivered less than 12 hours later. Just sayin'.)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a week early with my son and a week late with my daughter. I hated the waiting. I was induced with her - placenta issues. Luckily, it was with the gel not pitocin. In any case, I'm pretty sure that my daughter was not pleased about being induced so she made sure to let us know by being a 'spirited' non-sleeping, colicky, not even the grandparents wanted to look after her baby. Oh and I did have 3 stretch and sweeps which did nothing except scare my husband!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Olivia said...

I was five days overdue with my first. I saw my OB in the morning - she gave me the sweep - and I went into labour that night.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I would feel bitchy too!

Both boys were early, but I would swear up and down that with C, it was the Spicy Thai Noodle that did it.

I'm so excited for you! I'm checking Facebook, Twitter and your blog daily for news.

I'm not a stalker. I swear. (But would I admit to being one if I was??)

1:25 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I haven't gone forty weeks. I get fed up at 36 so I admire you because really you are not complaining.
I imagine you've had the stretch and sweep by now. I heat that is no so fun.
I'd recommend sex and more sex, until sherwood gets out here.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Kyla said...

I was 40 weeks 5 days with BOTH. It is torture. Ugh.

10:15 AM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

ah the ol' stretch & sweep....good times...
we tried everything (except sex- don't even want to go there)
accupuntcture, hot food, beer, eggplants??, long walks, jumping jacks (kidding)
and eventually she just decided to show up when she was ready.
So I've got nothing for you.
Except of course my best wishes and my fingers crossed that things get rolling for you asap.
hang in there!!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.