metro mama

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Now With Less Whine!

I don’t like to leave my whiny posts up for long without top-posting with something positive, so here it is.

There is a lot that’s good about five. Cakes is over the moon about her birthday. Birthdays are everything to 5-year-old girls, aren’t they! She has been planning her party for months: the guest list, the décor, the food, all of it. Her excitement’s contagious.

As for behavior, five is a big milestone. Cakes is a ‘spirited’ child and three and four were sometimes pretty challenging. But I see a new maturity in her now. She’s helpful, empathetic, loving and kind. She doesn’t always do what she’s told, but it helps if I explain a logical reason for doing something (I was exactly the same way) (still am, actually).

As for McHotty spending more time with her, that has been terrific for both of them. He is a magnificent father. Last night Sherwood and I joined in on story time. She didn’t want me to read to her, but requested one of McHotty’s original stories. As we listened raptly, he narrated “The Princess Pirates.” Here’s a recap: the Pirate Princesses were sailing in the sea one day when along came the Nasty Scary Pirates who fired their cannon at them. The Princess Pirates were not scared, and immediately loaded up their cannon. They have better aim, and a better ship, so their cannon hit the Nasty Scaries and their ship started sinking. The Princesses pulled up to the Scaries, stole all of their treasure, and gave them a lifeboat. Then they took the treasure to the island village and they all had a big party with cupcakes, fizzy water, party cheese and strawberry shortcake.

Speaking of parties, I will post some pics after Saturday’s big bash. And I will be happy and enjoy my beautiful little girl.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Highwaisted said...

that is the most adorable story ever. :) thinking about joe being dad gives me huge warm fuzzies.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Five is good! I love it. I can't believe these girls are that old, though!!

12:29 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Love the story! My mom used to tell me stories too, and Pumpkinpie only hears my versions of fairy tales, though I stick to the classics.

Explaining helps a huge amount around our house, but also with adults at work. I guess we all like to know we're not being forced into stupid arbitrary rules!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.