metro mama

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

You know what I want to do? Strut.

Last night I joined some friends to watch some cheesy 80’s dance movies.

The organizer of this madness is the biggest fan of the 80’s. She even has her own 80’s band called Big Hair (I’m not shitting you-here’s their website). Toronto mamas: I highly recommend you check out Big Hair sometime, they’re a blast. It’s also a great idea for a bachelorette party.

Our resident expert selected two definitive 80’s dance films: Staying Alive and Breakin’.

First, we viewed Staying Alive. Boy, was John Travolta in great shape in those days. I had forgotten how buff he used to be (and what a great dancer!).

Why don’t any of the Think You Can Dance dancers have that steely look of determination like Tony Manero?

The second film of the evening was Breakin'
which I have never seen before. It was sooo cheesy. It really makes you realize just how far the dance form has come.

Jean-Claude Van Damme is an extra in this film! He is sporting a leotard, bopping in the background of a dance scene. Hilarious.

All of this cheese was washed down with guacamole, brownies, and cheap wine.

Good times.

Next time, I nominate Footloose.

Two questions for you, lovely readers: what is your all time favourite Travolta role? Favorite 80’s dance film?

******************************************

Fence update: Thanks for all of your advice; however, the decision was taken out of our hands. Our buds went away for the weekend and in the meantime, the fence people came and finished the work.

The wee yard is looking rather nice. I’ll post the after pictures soon.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Fave Travolta: Grease

80's dance flick: Flashdance, natch.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Oh that party sounds like FUN. I am a little bit secretly stuck in the 80's, I would have loved it in all its cheese :)

Travolta: I am with HBM on Grease

Dance: Its a toss up but I'd have to say Footloose

6:43 AM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

me love cheese. especially 80s cheese.

Fave Travolta: Boy in the Bubble

80's dance flick: Flying (actually - does that count? It's more about gymnastics and is a bad Canadian film but it was the first one that popped into my head... and I have to tell the truth: my parents didn't let me see certain movies. So I (deep breath) have never seen: Footloose, dirty dancing or any of the others ones - I only saw Grease recently). Long story - I guess I should write a post about that one.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

I loved Flashdance and Fame, although I didn't see them until much later, because at the age of 13 I wasn't ALLOWED :(

10:40 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

I dunno...
I love the dance scent with Uma Thurman...in Pulp Fiction
Campy and wonderful...

10:40 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

fave john travolta film - n/a. but i loooooooved vinnie barbarino

fave 80s dance flick? dirty - i mean, footloose. i said footloose. stamped it.

11:35 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Can you believe I did not watch TV or even yet HAVE a TV for most of the eighties...so I amjust catching up now.

Loved Fame 70's or 80's?

Fave Travolta - Face Off with Nick Cage

God so much cheese to love.

I really need to watch two movies again soooon:

Faster Pussycat Kill Kill Kill

and Valley of the Dolls

Anne

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with the others on Grease. Loved it. Loved the music.

Don't really remember many of the dance films - oh, what about Dirty Dancing?

7:38 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Okay mother bumper, some day we are gonna have to leave the babes with their papas and have ourselves a mama blogger 80's film fest.

My votes are

1) Grease (Pulp Fiction is a close second)

2) Dirty Dancing

8:19 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

1) Grease (no point trying to be original - there's no beating the best)

2) Girls Just Want to Have Fun

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.