metro mama

Friday, June 23, 2006

Toronto the Good, Part 2: Pride and Respect

In honour of Pride Week, another reason I love this city for my babe: exposure to many different family models.

I want Cakes to grow up among families that are different from our traditional family unit of mother, father, and biological child.

I want her to appreciate families with one mom or one dad, two moms or two dads, families that include extended family, families with adopted children, inter-racial families, families with no children.

Here in Toronto, particularly in our neighbourhood, she will see all of these variations and will understand they are not inferior to our family model.

She will respect these many forms of family.

By the way, the Pride festival has a weekend of family activities. Find information here.

Happy Pride!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

Thank you for writing that. we live in a confusing world where sometimes understanding and enlightenment are hard to find. I like you, want to raise, and I suppose, have been raising my girls with an attitude of acceptence and understanding.
I do think that this generation will make a brave new world full of a greater love for all persuasions of living...

Anne

3:01 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

hooray, and happy pride to the whole fandamily.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I love pride. Go to the parade every year. I live in a very gay positive neighbourhood and I am so grateful to be able to raise my son with understanding of all the different families there are.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.