metro mama

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

All Things Austen (and a Little WonderBaby Thrown In)

My talented friend Christine (who designed my banner) is a huge Jane Austen fan, like I am. She sent me this email today and these fantastic pictures:

I just got back from a little trip to Derbyshire. I visited Chatsworth House, which is believed to have been Jane Austen’s inspiration for Pemberley in “Pride and Prejudice” (the Pemberley scenes in the last P&P movie were also filmed there). The description of Pemberley’s location, house and grounds in the book matches Chatsworth perfectly; not only that, but its master at the time, the Duke of Devonshire, had a wife named Georgiana. Coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, it’s an absolutely staggering place; more impressive than most of the palaces I’ve been to. I would have married any man who owned this house - even Mr. Collins!










Aren't these photos magnificent! I might have been able to put up with Collins for a pad like this. There would be lots of gardeners around to get it on with.

She also sent me links to a couple of great websites: this Jane Austen blog is fabulous. I could spend days here. Are you back yet? It’s a rabbit hole, I know. Here's a link to the Jane Austen Festival website, which lucky Christine will be attending in September. It looks like so much fun. They kick off the festivities with a costumed promenade. Chris will take lots of pics and I’ll post them here.

Finally, who can resist a quiz? Try this one, and report back which Jane Austen character you are. Here’s mine:

You scored as Marianne Dashwood. You're Marianne Dashwood of Sense & Sensibility! More dramatic and emotional than your sister Elinor, you have no trouble saying what you think and showing people how you feel about them. However, you usually know when to keep your mouth shut. Which Jane Austen heroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com


***
Alpha Babies - Round Two

We need to bring more biscuits when WonderBaby and Cakes get together...





WonderBaby--Cakes challenges you to a re-match. Tuesday. Withrow. Be there!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

Alpha Baby Smackdown
I love it!

10:50 PM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

I don't love Jane Austen (ducks) but I DO LOVE THAT HOUSE (faints).

7:50 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Monkeygirl wants in on the Withrow Park action!

Cakes and Wonderbaby are yummy.

8:10 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I'm Elizabeth Bennett!
Witty, intelligent and cynical. Hell ya!

And I just watched the new (kiera knightley) version of p&p on the weekend (ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby - that means the bbc colin firth version of course).

looking forward to next tuesday. bumblebee will be sure to have enough biscuits to share.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I am Marianne Dashwood Too.

And loving the photo of Wonderbaby and Cakes...look at the expressions on their faces!!! Little Sunshine is standing over my shoulder smitten :)

8:40 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

This post was SUCH a treat. I love the pics of Chatsworth.

I'm Marianne Dashwood too, though I missed being Catherine Morland by a hair (thank goodness).

1:48 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Yet another Marianne Dashwood here. Yes those photos are magnificent, as are the babies!

2:42 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

House - unbelievable

Babies - I'm laughing so hard that I think I woke the baby (sleeping in the next room - not my lap - ahhhh!)

WonderBaby may just rule the world some day but the to momma posse offspring will be her right hand.

2:57 PM  
Blogger OSarah said...

Hmm.
Elizabeth Bennett also.
Love the house, but no way could I put up with Collins to live there!

3:42 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

mamalooper: hope you can make it!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMFG those photos are TOO FUNNY.

I'm totally lifting them.

11:00 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Bad Mother: Go fer it!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Caption: WonderBaby takes the Cakes!

(Hope to see you tomorrow!)

11:06 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I'm Emma Woodhouse

11:22 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I think WonderBaby learned that move from the trouncing she took from BUmper, who roder her like a pony a couple of weeks ago.

1:59 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, and I'm Elizabeth Bennett.

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.