metro mama

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Perfect In-laws

We just got home from four days with BP’s parents in Kingston. I have to tell you how fantastic my in-laws are. When we visit, they have everything we need for Cakes—baby equipment, toys, books, diapers, wipes, food. They live in a beautiful spot on the water. They are smart, interesting, and fantastic cooks. They spoil us rotten, and it’s a vacation for us each time we visit.



My in-laws spent lots of time with Cakes, freeing Papa and I for lots of swimming, reading, and napping. We stole away for lunch at our favourite pub, the Tir nan Og, where we enjoyed beer-battered pickerel with sweet potato fries and Hoegaarden in glasses so big I almost needed two hands to lift mine to my eager lips.

My in-laws are geniuses in the kitchen. They made us our favourite foods (salmon for Papa, lamb for me) and we learned Cakes loves risotto. But will she love my risotto? How does one make risotto anyway?

I love visiting my in-laws, but I have just three complaints:

1. Lack of lounge chairs. When I’m next to the water, I need to lounge. I like a cushy chair with a footrest and an adjustable back that I can put up when I want to read, and down when I wish to snooze. I also require a place to put my beer. My in-laws know how to relax, but they are not loungers. The only seating to be found was the adirondack chairs. NOT my idea of lounging. Oh, there’s a hammock but there are spiders in it.

2. I have an excuse for the lack of visiting this week: dial-up. How did we survive the pre-broadband days? Also, my family doesn’t know I blog, so I can hardly “check my email” more than a couple of times a day.

3. No TV. They have a TV, but they never, ever watch. They don’t watch any TV shows. The last movie they saw was The Perfect Storm. They read. BP and I watch little TV, but I arrange my schedule for So You Think You Can Dance. If BP needs to have dinner on the table by 7, he knows about it well in advance. On Wednesday, we were just sitting down to dinner at Dance’s scheduled time. As soon as I’m done this post, I’m off to download (I still don’t know who went home, so DON’T SAY ANYTHING!)

Those are my only complaints about my in-laws. Aren’t I a lucky woman?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

Sounds heavenly. I love Kingston, though my favourite spot - the Chinese Laundry Cafe - closed down years ago.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty good to me.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very. Very lucky indeed.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I miss Kingston. Glad you had a good time and that your inlaws are so great. Mine are awesome too.

We did have TV on my recent rural adventure and so you think you can dance was GREAT. I'll miss the finale next week because I have a board meeting at work. Ug.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

You are a lucky girl to have great inlaws!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

Great inlaws are a rare thing.

The pictures--too cute!!

4:59 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Just back from the Great White North and totally need to read and post blog...in total D.T.s...

I have met them (your in-laws) as well (of course..) and they do seem fairly incredible.
Cakes is awesome as a glam rocker in her star shades, but where oh where is her pink boa?????
Anne

5:13 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

You ARE a lucky woman! And Hoegaarden is one of my faves too - I love the *pail* it comes in as much as the beer, I think. Mmm, beer size of head...

And Cakes? Niiiiice shades!

2:48 PM  
Blogger crabbykate said...

Other than the lack of lounge chairs, your in-laws sound like the IKEA of relatives! That is awesome that they provide all the equipment - and I'm sure it makes the holiday easier.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Cadillac interior Forbiden sex anime toon Prestigious pilates studio interracial dating latina Best spyware remove Where to find tadalafil To a dsl Lexapro wellbutrin combined prescription Bingo paypal long leather coats for women to buy Time for valtrex to work Find proactiv solution $39 95 at thebizplace Louis replica vuitton watch

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Propecia Side Effects said...

hello this is very very beautiful Baby and funny picture!!!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.