metro mama

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Schooool's Out. For. Summer.

If only it were out forever.

Monday night I wrote my final exam (I think I ACED THE FUCKER!) and now I have six blissful weeks off until it starts all over again.

I'm doing three courses next term (Contemporary Canadian Writers, Advanced Romanticism and a sociology course about the female body). I think it's going to be a demanding year. BP has been warned to try to keep down the extra curriculars.

I've decided to make a few resolutions for my six-week window of freedom:

1. Read books. I'm going to start with a few new books I've been wanting to read (I'll review them for you here), then get a head start on the reading list for the Can lit course (it's not really work, it's actually a great list*). I resolve to get my ass to the garden with my novel every time Cakes' head hits her pillow.

2. Stock the freezer with some homemade goodies for Cakes. We've been relying on far too much avocado and jarred sweet potato lately.

3. Write a couple of thoughtful, serious posts.

4. Give Big Papa some lovin'. When we moved into the house, we said we'd christen every room. Well...ahem. I won't even go there.

I will keep you updated on my progress. For the first three anyway.

***

* Here's the list...good stuff, isn't it!

Timothy Findley, Inside Memory (Harper/Collins), Stones (Penguin), The Wars (Penguin), The Piano Man's Daughter (Harper Perennial), Elizabeth Rex (Blizzard); Margaret Atwood, Surfacing (Seal); Selected Poems, 1966-1984 (OUP), Survival (M&S), Wilderness Tips (Seal), Alias Grace (Seal); Michael Ondaatje, The Collected Works of Billy the Kid (Vintage), The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems (Vintage), Running in the Family (Vintage), In the Skin of a Lion (Vintage), The English Patient (Vintage); Jane Urquhart, The Little Flowers of Madame de Montespan (The Porcupine’s Quill), Storm Glass (The Porcupine's Quill), Changing Heaven (M&S), Away (M&S), The Stone Carvers (M&S).

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I can't wait to hear which books you really loved and why.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Congrats on acing your test!

12:02 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

congrats mama! but i knew that you'd ace it. let's have a celebratory drink together soon (gotta get you that backpack back anyway)

i think i want to come audit your class; that book list reads like my personal library - in fact, i'm reading the piano man's daughter RIGHT NOW! it's one of the few findlays that seemed to slip past the uni years. it's got its sad parts tho, and again, i ended up blubbering on the subway, looking like that crazy lady that nobody wants to sit next to.
Running in the Family is one of my ultimate, all-time faves. wait until you get to the part about the 'wandering jew'. oh, how i love you m.o!
er, sorry about geeking out and taking over your comments - my pulse races thinking about good can-lit. oh god, there's the geek again, ok, i'll go now and just call you later.
hooray for you!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love when people write book reveiws on their blogs! When you write them, give me a shout so I don't miss them ok?

11:46 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I wrote you a nice long comment in the midst of my packing for the cottage frenzy...it got lost somehow. Anyhooo....congrats! Well deserved. Have a great holiday. We leave tomorrow, back in a week! Ciao Anne

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...good books! I'll have to live vicariously through you. I haven't had time to read it...well...22 months.

6:23 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, I used to looove the opportunity to read whatever trashy mysteries I wanted between terms. It was like reclaiming reading as a leisure activity.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Oooh, it sounds like you're gong to have an awesome 6 weeks off. I haven't read a book for fun in ages so I will live vicariously through you.

(wtf--I just started reading the comments and see that Jenny wrote almost the same exact comment!)

Where was I? Oh, yeah, please update and tell us which book you end up liking the best. Maybe I'll get around to reading it someday!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Village Mama said...

I LOVE Michael Ondaatje - I'm reading Anil's Ghost right now. I've also been a blubbering mess through the sadness of Piano Man's Daughter and have loved so many different moments in Jane Urquhart's works as well. And Alias Grace - what's not to love! I'm a little bit jealous of that list - have fun with that one!

9:52 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Made time to read and comment. read your interview. It was great...have you heard HUrt or Redemption Song bY Johnny Cash? Covers and well worth tthe listen.
Who is Spike? My interest is piqued. Love your concise writing, the meat of the matter I say! Anne

10:39 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Thanks for all your congrats, ladies!

AC, Spike is from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He's a villain turned hero. And he's really cool.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

HOORAY! Congrats Metro Mama. Must feel fabulous!!!!!!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Wow! Do you feel like a huge weight was lifted off your shoulders? Good for you!

Now, stop reading your comments and go read a book... or have some sex. ;)

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.