metro mama

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Long Overdue Date Night

We’re making the most of having my mom in town this week. Yesterday was a full day.

In the morning, we all went to Joy Bistro (great patio and 8 different kinds of eggs benny!) for brunch. Cakes was excellent. She quietly ate her cheerios and cheese while we had breakfast--until I made the mistake of giving her some of my smoked salmon. Then she wouldn’t leave us alone until all of the salmon was gone.

BP and I left Cakes and Grandma at home and did another massive Home Depot run. I am so sick of that hellhole. We bought another two-hundred dollars worth of crap.

Last night we had our first date night in a long time. We started early, stealing out of the house at 5 pm. We went for a beer and an appie on a patio on Spadina. There was a guy wearing those fucking ugly garden clogs. What’s up with those things? I’m seeing them everywhere lately. They’re for the garden, people!

A cute little old man strode by in army fatigues and a feather in his cap (a different guy from the army guy in BWV). I love people watching.

Then we checked out a Fringe play called Flamenco Con Fusion, an odd blend of flamenco and breakdancing. It was pretty cool. I want to try to get to at least one more fringe show while mom’s here. Someone is doing a production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch that I’d like to see.

After the show we walked to College for a stroll and had a glass of wine and a big bowl of pasta outside. We planned to go for a nightcap, but could barely keep our eyes open by 11:00 so we came home and had a port of the roof deck.

Okay, you're not getting any more details.

I don't kiss and tell. Much.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger motherbumper said...

I'm sooooo jealous but happy for you. I can't wait for my first date night. BTW _ I have those clogs and the closest to public they get is the laundry room. I swear!

9:44 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, so nice. OUr date nights are still pretty lightweight and infrequent. Running out for a movie is high luxury. I think once Misterpie gets settled into his job, I will start trying to do it more often. Maybe break in a new babysitter or two.

11:18 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

sounds like a good time. hubs and i had a date night last tuesday; a drink and then on to see camera obscura at the horseshoe (and a couple more drinks). awesome people watching - all those cute little hipsters! we happily noted one other couple wearing wedding rings; everyone else looked like they were barely old enough to be there, but it was ok; i have a much younger bro and sis and they help keep me cool. right? right? good times, but the band didn't come on until 11, and they are pretty mellow so it was a bit of an effort to keep my energy level up. it was 1:30 when we got home, so no nudge, nudge, wink, wink for us.

anyway, that was a lot of all about ME! glad you're having fun while mom's there.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Hooray for date nights!! Sounds wonderful.

Oh, and I love people watching too (and don't get the garden clog phenomenon - my son asked for a pair last week and unless he starts helping in the garden the answer will be, um, no)

1:10 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Sounds like a gas! I sort of like those clogs...but then I have slid so far of the fashion map it is ridiculous.
Anne

2:14 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

What is this thing I keep reading about "Date Night"? You lucky woman you! Sounds like a great night out.

2:38 PM  
Blogger scarbie doll said...

OMG I hate those clogs -- I think they are called Crocs no? They should stay in the damn garden!

Your date sounds lovely. I hear there's a new Conor MacPherson at the Fringe. I saw The Weir by myself in London many moons ago and became an instant CM fan. Must check it out.

I am also a fan of the "benny." I can't believe how your daughter will eat anything. Count yourself lucky!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Baby in the City said...

Crap, my first comment on your blog and I gotta defend my Crocs? Yes, I know they are the equivalent to going out in your housecoat and curlers but you know, these days, if I had a housecoat or wore curlers, I'd be wearing them in public too.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Haute Mama said...

You crack me up!! thanks for the honesty and humour. I was thinking the same thing about those clogs! I see kids wearing them at my daughter's highschool and that tells you something. And I'm there with ya sistah - I'm soo sick of Home Depot too..my BH's favorite store in the universe. How romantic..

7:27 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

You and Sandra and Scarbie with your date nights (and weekends!). I'm officially jealous (either that or inspired - depending on whether I ever get enough marking done to go anywhere again.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.