metro mama

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Wee Garden Makeover

We finally have out backyard put together. Here is the before…



And the after!




I think it will be lovely next summer when the plants fill in. I planted a climbing hydrangea that will hopefully obliterate the sight of the garage. There’s a clematis and lilies along the fence. I planted a mini blue spruce and a tree peony in the bed in the foreground.

Maybe we mama bloggers could have a perennial swap next spring.

Our family room is finally finished after the flooded basement incident. We are so happy to have our stereo hooked up again--we cranked the Johnny Cash this morning(luckily, Cakes is also a fan of the man in black).

Monday night we had Penelope and family over for the inaugural BBQ. Big Papa prepared a wonderful meal of grilled sweet and spicy chicken (with a fantastic sauce), new potatoes and asparagus. I was a little worried about dinner at first. Big Papa, enjoying the cuddly Bumblebee (Cakes is never cuddly anymore) became distracted from the grill. The next thing we knew, the potatoes were on fire. Then I noticed the chicken seemed to be stuck to the grill. I asked if I should call Kubo, to which BP responded with a baleful look.

I shouldn't have doubted him--dinner was great (as usual), despite the crispy potatoes. Penelope brought a delicious homemade shortcake with fresh blueberries and strawberries. The company was outstanding as well--it sure is nice to have friends who are going through the same thing we are (Bumblebee is only a week older than Cakes). Cooking outside + great conversion + cold beer = good times.

*****************

We have one more project. We need a brilliant idea to hide the noise and ugliness of this air conditioner. Whatever we do needs to allow access to the hose and electrical outlet located below it. Any ideas, smart readers? Also, how can I get Cakes to stop eating mulch?

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:28 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

the garden looks awesome, and feels as comfortable and welcoming as it looks.

tell bp that dinner was faaaantastic, and that a good cuddle is always worth a few burnt potatoes.

can't wait to return the favour - maybe next time bumblebee will actually go to sleep.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That backyard looks awesome, the next time T-pants and I are in town we'll swing by St. Lawerence Market and then show up at your door. You like random visits right?

4:13 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ya'lls yard looks great. I love making things look pretty. I have NO idea about the air conditioner though. Sorry. I will be thinking.

4:45 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Yard looks good. I say a lattice 'box' for the air conditioner, and grow a clematis on it.

Cakes and food....My littlest one used to eat more than My hubby...!It prepares them for the year or two of self imposed starvation that will make you crazy!!!!! Believe me food issues are reserved only for the older....let her trust her tummy I say. Anne

7:26 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Wow, your yard looks fantastic! I wish I had a green thumb (and a less intense phobia of bees...).

8:51 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Wow! Really! That looks fantastic!

You did it all yourselves?

9:41 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

No, I can't take much credit. The builder provided the grass, patio and fence. But we designed the layout and did the flower beds. And poor BP assembled all the Ikea.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Looks amazing!!! I love it.

I hope you get to spend alot of time enjoying it this summer!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I just came across your blog and found it very honest and refreshing. And your garden makeover is amazing, I might add.

I have a one year old and a five year old and live in Halifax.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I just came across your blog and found it very honest and refreshing. And your garden makeover is amazing, I might add.

I have a one year old and a five year old and live in Halifax.

1:05 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

congrats on the new yard/fence, looks great!
we are currently getting some quotes on new fencing/deck were you happy with the installation etc.
if so, care to share any contact info?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

WOW. WOW. It looks great! I love it! Aren't there some things you can buy to cover air conditioners? Do you have Home Depot where you live? I bet they would know what you could use...

6:04 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

That patio rocks! And I think they say that mulch puts hair on your chest so there is nothing to worry about (until puberty).

9:26 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Just realized you wrote mulch, not so much....sigh....I really need to read these blogs sober......hick....Anne

5:57 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Petite gourmand: their work was good but I can't recommend them because they finished about 6 weeks later than they said they would!

AC: blogging is better with beer.

anonymous: random visits are great as long as you bring food (or booze) :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Drea said...

That is such a cute padio! Wish I had it haaha

3:47 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

That is such a beautiful makeover! There is nothing like a little piece of tranquil paradise in the mega city.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- you guys did a great job! It looks very inviting.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.