metro mama

Saturday, July 01, 2006

What a Difference a Year Makes

The long weekend has been rather delightful thus far. I can’t describe how nice it is to actually enjoy this summer, compared to the previous summer when it seemed like we were just barely getting by. A year ago, Cakes was colicky and we spent at least an hour a night singing “Burning Ring of Fire” to calm her. One year ago, it was stinking hot and we were stuck in our one-bedroom apartment waiting for a house we thought would never be built. A year ago, sleep was just a fond memory, I had only one pair of shorts that fit, and I spent hours per day hooked up to an electric breast pump, like a cow.

Exactly one year ago today, I was in the hospital receiving a blood transfusion after a six-week post-partum hemorrhage. It was the most terrifying experience of my life. But that’s a post for another day.

Yesterday, I joined the Toronto mamas for an afternoon play date. Of course, on a day when I desperately want Cakes to have a good nap so she will be her most charming self, she sleeps for only 20 minutes.

The ladies were all as lovely and articulate in person as they appear in the blogsphere. I was having a good time, but unfortunately, Cakes was bouncing off the walls. After she stole all of WonderBaby’s biscuits and then pushed her over I, mortified, thought it was best to say adieu.


When we returned home, we went for a BBQ with two couples across the street. One couple has an 11-month-old boy they achieved via in-vitro, and the other just brought home a little girl from China (the same age as Cakes). Makes me very thankful we were able to make Cakes the old-fashioned way. We brought some tabouleh Big Papa had whipped up and they grilled Tandoori chicken and asparagus. They brought out exersaucers and jumpers and we let the little ones go nuts on the grass. Cakes lasted well through dinner but soon after, we could tell a meltdown was imminent so we dashed before dessert.

Cakes passed out five minutes after we got in the door, so I didn’t feel bad deserting Big Papa to hook up with the blogging gals again for drinks. It was much more relaxing without the babe. Conversation flowed easily and we discovered a shared penchant for gin and tonics (hooray!).

I actually went to high school with Sunshine Scribe! I’m a little embarrassed as I was a loser in high school. But, as we all know, people change, and I don’t think she held it against me.

I look forward to seeing these ladies again.

Big Papa’s working today. Cakes and I spent most of the day at the park. They have the wading pools open now and we tried it for the first time. She loved it! Lots of her friends were around too, and we had a very pleasant day.

Tonight I went next door for wine and dessert. It appears so far, the big fence isn’t a barrier to our newfound friendship.

Wow, it is nice to be among the living again.

*********************

Today the Toronto Star selected the "best of Canadian culture". Find the full article here. Let me know your thoughts on these, particularly the books.

I'm glad to see Atwood and Munro on this list. Lives of Girls and Women isn't my favorite Munro--I would have rather seen For the Love of a Good Woman (what do they have against short stories?) By the same token, where is Carol Shields?

I'm very happy to see Green Grass, Running Water on the list. If you haven't read this, you simply must.

Anyone particularly happy with a pick? Any glaring ommissions?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

So good to meet you last night. And you were so NOT a loser in highschool. By my recolection you were far cooler than I. And likely had more fun than I did with my nose deep in my books or being an extra curricular keener. I am just grateful you didn't out me as the loser :)

Oh and yes where was Carol Sheilds on that list!?!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

That's so cool that you have such a close connection with your neighbors.

Also, glad you had fun at "BlogHer Toronto!" What a small world that you and SS knew each other in high school.

2:18 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

It was so good to meet you too, and the joy of being with moms is that if your baby loses her shit, we all get it and have been there. But really, Cakes held up fantastically well, so I was impressed. (Her slo-mo takedown of wonderbaby was really funny, actually!)

I must shame-facedly admit I am not a huge lover of CanLit, though it certainly has its moments. Enjoyed Alias Grace, Stone Angel, and Gail Anderson-Dargatz' first one or two. But fo CanCon, I usually prefer the kids' fare, which is excellent. Munsch, Dennis Lee, Stinson, Lunn, Oppel - okay, shut up kittenpie, it could go on forever.

8:25 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

kittenpie: there should have been at least one of the kid's books. Where was Anne of Green Gables?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Haute Mama said...

So true!! It is amazing what a dif a year can make. Sorry to hear about your sacry post hemmorage experience. But relieved to hear you made it. Would love to read about that.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I'm so happy that you guys all got to hang out. and I totally feel you on the twenty-minute-nap debacle. urgh. it's always the days when we *really* need 'em to nap that they're all, um, nahhh. think I'll stay up and drive you ca-razy, instead, mumsie-poo.

p.s. gin n' tonics! *heart*

12:08 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

A year does make a world of difference. It is scary to think of your terrifying experience. Thankfully you made it through that ordeal.

Sorry I was running late. Cakes and Buttercup would have fun together too. Having a big sister, she expects a take down every so often.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

12:50 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I have been trying to get to the paper, and that particular section all weekend....
And yes one year....what great leaps forward we all make...It sounds like you are going to have a fab summer!
Is The Bride back yet? Why don't you get my number and email from her and I can get you that nice pic?

Also trying to get you on my blog list, but I am so inept at any kind of template stuff...I need a young computer person in my life to help me 'tweak' my blog....

Ciao, Anne

2:12 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Really, Cakes was lovely - but I know, you always want your children to be their MOST charming selves when they're on display to new friends.

I loved that Star article. Thanks for pointing it out. Here are my additions:

Books: Susanna Moodie, Roughing it in the Bush (instead of Atwood's Journals which are a pretentious rip-off, I mean, not quite as good as the original)

Movies: My American Cousin, New Waterford Girl, Jesus of Montreal (the movie list was my least favourite - way too prize-winniing-y)

I loved the list of children's entertainment (that's where they put Anne). Baby Beluga! Degrassi! But I would have included Pierre Berton's The Secret World of Og instead of Jacob Two-Two.

3:37 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

bubandpie: good call on New Waterford Girl.

ac: I will email her right now!

6:49 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

maybe i'll play hookey from work next time you mamas meet up - sounds like fun.

i haven't had a chance to check out the article yet, but bubandpie, have you read 'sisters in the wilderness?' really great bio on moody and her sis.

i'll second the degrassi motion - how would i have gotten through my early teens without it?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Thanks so much for the nice comment at my place and for leaving some breadcrumbs back here. What is it about you Toronto Mombloggers that just totally rocks? Besides, any friend of HBM...

11:32 PM  
Blogger scarbie doll said...

1. Was wonderful to meet you and the adorable Cakes (my kinda girl) and I think a playdate with Marla and Josie is in order.

2. I have read Green Grass, Running Water after a recommendation from my friend Ragdoll. Thomas King is magnificent. Shortly after I read the book, TK walked into the store where my FIL works and struck up a convo with him. He wrote about my FIL in an article and they continued their acquaintanceship. Today my FIL had a guest appearance on Dead Dog! How cool is that?

3. Where is Carol Shields indeed. And no Margaret Laurence?

4. Why were most of the songs from the same era? I fully believe that Let Your Backbone Slide by Maestro Fresh Wes (a fellow Scarb) is one of the greatest Canadian songs ever written. I will take anybody on that!

5. The design category was by far my favourite. You can't beat that flag baby!

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.