metro mama

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Toronto the Good, Part 3: Green Acres

Another reason Toronto rocks is all the green space.

Yep, contrary to popular belief, there is lots of it.

I love cruising down the DVP at night, winding through the huge expanse of green against the backdrop of city lights.

Last year we lived near High Park, a vast woodland covering almost 400 acres. It's especially stunning in the fall:



Just a short ferry ride away are the Toronto Islands a perfect place to enjoy a picnic and some play:



We recently visited Cherry Beach, five minutes away and our new favourite destination. A perfect place to watch the sailboats and soak up some rays:







There are no fewer than five parks in our new 'hood. We usually visit one or another about twice a day. We go early in the morning for some swinging and climbing and Cakes talks to her Chinese lady friends. We like to hit the splashpad in the late afternoon:



I make fun of my "wee" yard, but in truth, I like it that way. Instead of hangin' at home, we get out every day. There are many stay-at-home parents (yep, daddies too) around here and it's never hard to find playmates--for Cakes as well as me.

And the best part? No grass to mow.

**********************

America voted, and, tonight.......



warning! spoiler alert!




Dmitri and Martha are not safe.

I think America was right.

Dmitri lost me last night when he tore his shirt off. I did feel bad for him tonight though, when they screwed up and started the closing music when he was about to dance his little heart out.

Natalie should not have been in the bottom two.

Here is my current ranking:

Girls
1. Allison
2. Natalie
3. Donyelle
4. Heidi

Boys
1. Benji
2. Traviss
3. Ivan
4. Ryan

Loved, loved, loved the ghoulish opening number.

Who is this Jean Marc fool! I want Dan back!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

OK, so you get big thanks from me for this post. Need the reminders.

(And, read the post below - DATE NIGHT! Lucky, lucky you!)

10:31 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

We know who the photographer is in your family! Cakes is going to wonder why there are no pics of her mum!

so... the opening number kind of scared me - truly. creepy.
i'm glad it was dmitri and martha that left; i think my faves are heidi, donyelle, ivan and traviss (in no particular order).
i really like ivan; he's such a brat.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE high park in the fall.

11:10 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Yay! I love all the parks too - part of my life-long love affair with Riverdale. We usually hit Withrow once or twice on days we are at home.

And good for you for reminding HBM of why she doesn't need to leave the city, too...

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word that is one cute baby!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I agree with you completely. The fact that we have a teeny tiny back yard means that we get to spend loads of time at the park and the farm and all the other great things TO has to offer. I love how green our city is.

And those photos ... she is SO cute!

10:58 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

This city does have so many amazing parks and green-space.
I love high park, t.o island, lakeshore, cherry beach, sunnybrooke park, and all the small city parks.
We recently started cycling along the belt-line which is so pretty and hiking down by the brickwork's.
You completely forget that you are in a large city.
Love the snaps of BP and Cakes...
oh, did you see how disappointed Kat was when Dimitri was voted off?
too funny.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.