metro mama

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dirty Simon

My mom gave Cakes this cute little white bear when she was just born:



The bear, dubbed Simon, soon became her favourite friend. She can’t sleep without clutching Simon in her chubby fists. He’s in her arms when she wakes each morning.

Cakes and Simon are inseparable.

Unfortunately, one year later, Simon is looking rather worse for wear:



It's hard to tell from the picture, but instead of pristine white, he's now the colour of old dishwater. He's covered in suspicious stains.

Cakes has spit up on him, wiped cereal off her mouth with him, wiped her nose—she’s even wiped her arse with poor Simon.

I’ve washed him several times, and each time I do, I live in fear he won’t survive the spin cycle.

We’ve looked everywhere for a new Simon, but there is none to be found.

I’d like to steer her towards a new friendship. Simon smells bad. He’s embarrassing when we take him out in public. However, whenever I try to introduce her to someone new, she clutches Simon for dear life.

What's a mama to do?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger michele said...

Thanks for the plug and welcome to the group.

Did you try ebay?

7:27 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

i say off he goes. at least you'll know what she's talking about with her therapist in 30 years.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Aaawww, poor Simon. I'm all Velveteen Rabbited up over here: don't toss him!

(Yeah, I'm a sucka)

8:39 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

uh, jules? i think you just joined a christian blogroll. do agnostics believe in missionary work?

8:45 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Get rid of him? Crazy woman...he is the Velveteen Rabbit toy, he is, after you and big daddy, her onetruelove. Besides, the germs are good for her immune system...
PS...thanks for the tips...Anne

1:41 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

oh dear - this is why we bought five - yes five - doggies and rotate them through the washing machine. (One needs it badly right now) However, hindsight on this won't help so I'd try:

-scouring every toy store in the city by phone
-ebay
-craigslist

and meanwhile, wash gentle cycle with zero and maybe hit him up with some febreze daily? Good luck with this!

4:03 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Baby Cakes and the clean Simon are delicious. Without smell-oh-blogism, I think I love Dirty Simon. He has the look of a truly loved bear.

12:37 AM  
Blogger scarbie doll said...

hmm, tough. Might I recommend a good children's book on the subject? It's called Tatty Ratty by Helen Cooper and I am absolutely in love with the illustrations. The story follows the distraught Molly, as she and her parents seek out her beloved, but very lost, Tatty Ratty. The ending hits the heart.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

We have a Peter Rabbit in the same kind of shape! Sounds like your little one has a good friend there!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what my mom did with my (ibear0 I had my pronouns confused when I was 2. I asked if he was "I bear?" my bear? anywho... Re-stuff him... she did this fairly often and he'd come back with a hospital bracelet... she's a nurse, and had access. I'd wash him with baking soda... and dip him in a lemon juice and water solution and leave him to driy in the sun... Baking soda with neutralize the odor and make him soft. the lemon juice in the sun will make him white.

~M
haricot_vert@mac.com

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.