metro mama

Monday, July 31, 2006

Clock-watcher

I thought my days of clock-watching were over when I quit my job.

For the last months of my employment, I was bored and impatient to be doing other things. I thought those feelings would end when I spent joyous, fun filled days at home with my daughter.

Not so.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not complaining—I love that I am able to be home with Cakes. I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

But, it is much, much harder than I thought it would be.

She is a busy, busy girl. She wakes at 6 or 7 and it’s go, go, go until naptime. After nap, we’re back at it and it’s go, go, go until bedtime.

Some days (rainy/snowy/too hot/too cold), by 4:00 I am looking at my watch and am horrified how long there is ‘til quittin’ time.

When she goes down for the night, it’s “fuck, thank God she’s down. Pour me a cocktail”.

The other problem is, blogging has awakened a dormant beast in me. I feel compelled to write and am frustrated by not having much time to do so.

I am extremely lucky. BP is home more than many fathers and I probably get more free time than most. There are many women who are responsible for most of the childcare. I don’t know how they do it—I admire them greatly.

Gotta go now. The boss is calling and my shift aint over yet.

***

I’m pleased to report this is my 50th post! Time flies when you’re having fun.

The fabulous Mommy Off the Record just celebrated her 100th post and did something very cool to celebrate. Check it out here.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

hang in there, mama; we all have days like these.

9:43 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

You know, I totally know what you mean, and I'm not even home all week. Talk about feeling guilty when you find yourself noticing this "how many hours to bedtime" thought on a Saturday!

But no matter how much we enjoy them, it would be totally lying to pretend that they are not exhausting and hard work.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

I was just thinking about this the other day. I am a total clock-watcher. It's the one thing that sucks about a regular nap schedule!

Oh, and I love the "voices carry." I'll have 'Til Tuesday going through my head all day now.

3:18 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

ooh, i just noticed - voices carry - good one. i've been totally trying to come up some clever way of saying comments too. bubandpie - i'm with you on the song in my head. at least its a good one, and not britney, which was in my head all weekend (i'm toxic, you're slipping under...)

3:40 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

VOICES CARRY...ME LIKEY VERY MUCH.i AM WRITING FROM THE BRIDES PALACE IN THE GREAT WHIIE NORTH. i FIGURE THAT THIS WILL BE MY ONLY COMMUNICATION FOR THE COMING WEEK...GASP!
tIME GETS BETTER...PLAYDATES AND OUTINGS SAVE SANITY. cHEERS, aNNE C

7:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh yes. I know what you mean. I drink more now that I've had a child than before... heehee.

Oh and thanks for the tip...

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.