metro mama

Thursday, March 22, 2007

And They Say Mommy Bloggers Are Boring

I read an article in Backbone magazine (no, this isn’t something I buy, it fell out of one of the newspapers) about the new trend of CEO bloggers. High-level execs like Mark Cuban and Jonathon Schwartz are “offering insight into the daily travails of a CEO, a world most will likely never see first-hand”. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it!

Jim Estill, CEO of Synnex, has blogging down to a science: “I write about 15 percent personal, because you have to humanize it and that’s what people want, and 80 per cent business, because that’s the value.” He also warns about the pitfalls of CEO blogging: “It makes me less of a mystery man, but then I also get e-mails with pictures of kids’ birthdays, because people think they know me.” The nerve of some people!

And if you think the blogosphere has been bastardized by advertising, wait ‘til you hear this. The article acknowledged that some CEOs are, well, boring. Enter the ghost blogger! So, if you’re looking for a way to get rich from blogging, stop hoping for a book deal. Maybe Bill Gates will give you a job.

I took a quick peek at Estill’s blog. The theme of the last several posts seems to be not having enough time to work out. Cutting edge stuff.

***

This is what a day’s worth of jackhammering looks like:



I am going to tempt the sleep Gods by telling you that Cakes managed to nap during the jackhammering. I shit you not. Despite the deafening noise, and the entire house vibrating, she snoozed for two whole hours. Please don’t hate me. She’s bad in other ways, honest.

The noise continues today. My mom took Cakes to the drop-in and I am holding down the fort. The noise is distracting me from doing anything productive; hence the massive (but scattered) post today.

***

A new study by McMaster University says there may be great health benefits for newborn babies by waiting at least two minutes to cut the umbilical cord. Check out the article here.

***

This morning I sat on the toilet. I happened to glance over and noticed a big spider sitting on the toilet paper. I ran away, pants around my ankles.

Good thing I hadn’t gone yet.

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

you are scared of spiders? poor thing was probably traumatized by the jackhammers.

Are any of the workers cute in that 'geez its hot in here I think I will take my shirt off and show you my Daniel Craig type body cute'?

Oh. And the drain issue is actually a sabotage by all the mommy bloggers who are pissed that Cakes sleeps so well. I was in on it too. I have YEARS of resentment.

love ya!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I hope my new kid takes after Cakes.

A child who can sleep through jackhammering.

If all things are equal, she is gonna be TROUBLE in her teen years.

I'm just sayin'...

11:06 AM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I wish I could sleep through jackhammering!

Waiting 2 months to cut the umbilical cord huh? I just can't imagine...

11:11 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

thanks for the laugh. please tell me the construction people were not there at the time.

we waited until the umbilical chord stopped pulsing (flowing blood) before cutting it - about 4 minutes.

Undercover Angel - I certainly hope you're talking figuratively.

11:20 AM  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I'm always glad to see more scientific evidence about the umbilical cord thing, because it's something that most people don't think about and the science, to date, has been sketchy.

I believe that Cakes slept through that. White noise AND vibration? It's like being back in the womb. Heaven.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'd run from the spider, too. I hate spiders.

I'm sure other CEOs find CEO blogs fascinating.

Slept through jackhammering? You've got one hell of a deep sleeper there.

11:35 AM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

Spider? Oh you know what I think of spiders and for me, it wouldn't have matter if I was in mid stream...

Anyhow, gross out aside, I found that umbilical cord study interesting too - I'm glad my doc didn't rush us or the cutting. I'm super worried about anemia since it seems to plague the women in my family.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Mouse said...

I'm stuck on the CEO's math. 15% personal and 80% business--where's the other 5%?

11:55 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

crazymumma: none of them are hot, but they are very sweet about saying hi to Cakes 40 times a day.

mouse: I wondered the same thing.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Sleeping through jackhammering? Thou art blessed among mothers, Metro. *lol*

1:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I first read two months, wondered what on earth the article could possibly be suggesting, read the article, saw that it said two minutes, checked your post, realized it said two minutes. My eye/brain connection leaves something to be desired.

P.S. I submitted my online app for grad school last night. Yikes! For faculty references I had to put down three professors who I haven't seen or spoken to in 15 years... The adviser I spoke to in the department said it shouldn't be necessary to contact them. I hope not. ;)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One of my worst irrational fears in the entire world is having a spider crawl on me while I am peeing. Thanks for confirming it's possible.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

"Because you have to humanize it". That's gonna keep me laughing for awhile.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm in awe of Cakes! If I sneeze on the other side of the house, my son wakes up from a nap.

Should I be laughing that you ran away with your pants down?!

2:37 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

oh, i can guess where the other 5% is... are they typing with just one hand?

4:11 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

Oh, man, a day’s worth of jackhammering at my house is something completely different.

Hey, mumma, that's enough about Daniel Craig.

And the missing percentage is definitely 5% dumbass.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Only 15% personal. I guess that explains why I'm not a CEO

1:57 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Eeek! I've had a spider scamper out of the roll when I pulled - they are obviously out to get us, metro. It's the only answer.

(I was a sleeper like that as a child too - it's a blessing, until you have to try to wake her up for school in a couple of years!)

4:36 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

the image of you race waddling away from the toilet had me cracking up yesterday, so much so i forgot to even comment so i had to come back now.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously? Slept thru a jackhammer? Impressive!

I am scared of two things - spiders & bee's.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I had something to say about boring business bloggers until I read about you racing away with your pants around your ankles from a spider. You crack me up.

And oh ... god ... sorry about the unpleasant renos. No fun! Your poor poor gorgeous garden :(

5:37 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I have so much in common with CEO bloggers. I also don't have time to work out.

Damn Miss Spider.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

My daughter slept through a testing of our home alarm system. Probably a bad thing.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost had to run for the bathroom- picturing the great pantsless spider escape; damn pregnancy bladder.

Oh and Alley, a lot of kids sleep throught alarms, they had a whole bunch of stuff about a study where a recording of Mom's voice woke the kids better then a standard fire alarm.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.