metro mama

Friday, April 13, 2007

I Just Can't Stop Blogging

Who'd have thunk I'd blog more often on holiday? I've been walking for the past 6 hours, and I can't walk another step so I might as well blog.

We loved the London Walk last night. I highly recommend them--we hope to do another one or two while we're here. We went pubbing in the Southwark area, which is my favourite part of London so far. We went to the Borough Market, where Guy Ritchie's films (Snatch, Lock Stock) are filmed, as well as the location of Bridget Jones' flat. We had a great guide, cute and smart and full of interesting history. For instance, we went past the Operating Theatre where they used to perform amputations (without anesthetic!). He told us about the shortest amputation in history-in 29 seconds, the surgeon cut off the patients' leg, as well as three fingers of the attending and the right testicle of a bystander (all three victims died).




The pubs were very cool--they were ones we probably would never have found on our own. I love the laid-back culture here. By 5:00, the pubs are overflowing into the street, with people smoking and enjoying pints outside. Lovely.

Today we got up early and went to the Tower of London. It was really interesting. We had a guided tour with a beefeater and had another history lesson about the executions of Henry the 8th's wives. We saw the crown jewels and the biggest diamond in the world. This afternoon McHotty went to the HMS Belfast and I went to the Globe Theatre. I loved it--it's very well done. I'm so disappointed I can't see a play there (they don't start until May). Amazingly, it took almost 50 years to get it built. I'll post pics when I get home.







When I'm done here, I'm off to get some flowers and wine for our host, then an early dinner before we go out again tonight. We're so lucky to have a friend to stay with. It's so expensive here, especially eating out. Luckily though, the beer is cheap. Good thing--it's customary here to always buy rounds (it's very rude to just buy a drink for yourself). It will be interesting to see how this works tonight when we're out with a large group. I better stick to half pints.

Pub tally to date: 8

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Run ANC said...

I loved the Tower of London tour when I was there too. In fact, in one of my latest Easter pix of the boy, you can see a picture of Mr Earth and I at the Tower. Wish I was there instead of here. God, do I wish it!

12:07 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Glad you are having a great time.
That amputation story is totally made up!!??

12:27 PM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

I LOVE that you're risking your marriage to keep us updated.

Dedication, baby. It's all about the dedication.

1:28 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Keep feeding us the gory details! Love it!

(Did I ever tell you that I made Chris go to the Museum of Torture when we were in Malta?!)

2:17 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Oh yeah, and the prison museum in Kingston! (You MUST have been there)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Still jealous. But loving these stories!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sounds very fun! The only part of London I've seen is the airport...way too often!

Nice to "meet" you. :)

6:21 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

...I know blogging is like crack...

I am still jealous, and you writing about the Tower of London just unearthed an ancient memory I had of going there when I was 11. Weird Metro...weird.

Have several pints for me!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

came by on a whim and was happy to see you are blogging....i so LOVE hearing about travels and knew you'd be having such a terrific time.

drink one for me. or four.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad to be hearing from you as you blog through your vacation! It sounds like so much fun and a much needed change of pace. Keep the posts coming!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Buy a round for us...and then drink them. ;)

3:30 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Oooh...I've always wanted to go to London. Keep blogging so I can travel vicariously through you. ;)

4:43 PM  
Blogger C. said...

Ahh, your right in my area! You should check out the cheese shop in Borough Market.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.