metro mama

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Grass is Greener on This Side

One of my favourite things about this time of year is getting my hands dirty in the garden. Though many of the bulbs I planted in the fall were eaten by the squirrels, the perennials have all fared really well (all but one even survived the moat digging that happened in the backyard—the labourers gently removed them before they dug and tenderly replanted them when they were finished!)

I went out to get groceries last week when I noticed the garden centre open. I decided to pop in “just to have a look”, but the selection was fabulous and, knowing the forecast for the coming week was good, I decided to live dangerously and purchase all of my annuals before May 2-4 weekend (for the Americans, our long weekend in May is called May 2-4 after the many cases of 24 beers that are enthusiastically drunk by hosers celebrating the start of summer. The non-drinkers work in their gardens. I manage to do both). It worked out perfectly—I was able to do my plant shopping before the crowds and I had everything planted just in time before the landscapers came back to replace the grass that was ruined by the moat. So, unless the temperatures plunge, the yard will be lookin’ real purdy for Cakes’ second birthday party this weekend.

Our front yard is looking good too. The next-door neighbour and I are fastidious about our grass. We’re ridiculous—you’d think we were a couple of retired suburbanites. Anyway, my chest puffed with pride when the landscapers commented that our front yard was the best one of the street.

So here I am, before May 24, and the work is done. Now I just putter around and chit-chat in the front, and put my feet up with a good book in the back.



Oh, how I love you, Spring.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

You're so lucky. I have no green thumb. It's the invasion of the weeds over here.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

So so pretty MM!!! I love to garden as well, although my thumb is not that green.
As for my only two tulips not being eaten by the squirrels, chalk it up to lack of trees in our areas so no squirrels have been seen here for the past 3 years!!!

9:04 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Trouble with drinking and gardening is you always end up face down ass up which is good in other situations but in the yard not so pretty.

Looks fab! The two year olds will love ripping the flowers of the garden.....

10:00 AM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Wow... so impressed. This really brings home the benefit of a newly built home where you really have a clean slate to start with, instead of the millions of invasive weeds that fill our yard. Despite nearly four years of (ok, half-hearted and unfocused) work to eliminate them, they still rule the roost.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you want to come over and work on my yard??

i will bake you cookies!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Well, I'll have to get in line behind Ali, but you simply must come over and work on my "garden" if all you're doing is lazing around in yours...I'm the kiss of death to all things plant-like. It's sad, really.

2:49 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Need a new project? You could come over to my house... the worst on the street. I have both a black thumb and a sense of total apathy. Not a great combination.

5:36 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

looks great.
We too have been in gardening mode (with the help of our friend who is a landscaper..)
I'm really looking forward to watching all the new plants grow.
the overnight temperature is supposed to drop this weekend, which kind of sucks for our freshly planted potato vines in the window boxes..
fingers crossed that it doesn't drop below zero.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

i'd love to see what you can do sober, if this is evidence of you under the influence.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

My wife and I kill everything we plant, we don't even bother anymore.

I'm cosidering going to Micheal's and putting in plastic flowers with plastic bees

1:28 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

That looks great! Our weather has been so crappy and I've been sick so much this spring that I've hardly had any time to get out and garden. But you've given me some damn good inspiration.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Mad said...

Ug. We are getting snow tonight. I hope that you planted wisely for your region. On the topic of region, did you know that May 2-4 is an Ontario-ism. Or maybe it's an Eastern-ism. When I lived out west there was no such thing as a 2-4. Beer came in packs no bigger than 12. Everyone looked at me as if I was an idiot for calling Victoria Day, "May 2-4." They had no clue what I was talking about.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.