metro mama

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Metro Reco: On Chesil Beach

Now that my reading time is mostly limited to naps and the little amount of time between dinner and bed, I really appreciate short books, like Ian McEwan’s latest novel (novella?), On Chesil Beach. Though short, the book packs a powerful punch.

Set in England in 1962 on the cusp of the sexual revolution, a young married couple, Florence and Edward, commence their honeymoon in Dorset, each with very different expectations. Much of the narrative takes place during that fateful night as the innocent couple try to reconcile their needs with the expectations placed upon them.

Beautifully written, thoughtful and redolent of the uncertainty of youth, this is a lovely, two-nap read.

Ian McEwan is the author of two short story collections and ten novels including Amsterdam for which he won the Booker prize in 1998.

I have three copies to give away! Please email me at metro[underscore]mama[at]hotmail[dot]com (sorry, Canadian mailing addresses only).

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Mae said...

listen Metro Mama, if people aren't going to jump on these opportunities I'm going to offer to pay the shipping and handling to moi! better yet, I will make you and cakes lunch and a little playdate in exchange for some of these wicked books!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

this one looks fabulous too.

damn nationalists.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

I am SO emailing you! Right this freaking second!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Hope I'm not too late to email you! I've wanted to read McEwan for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

'A lovely two-nap read.' Exactly.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Read it, liked it. I have read pretty much all that he has written.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.