metro mama

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What I'm Watching and Reading These Days

My new course is keeping me so busy, I’m getting no other reading done. I’m writing a 25-page paper on Alice Munro’s treatment on the mother-daughter relationship, so I’m rereading all her stuff as well as criticism and a couple of biographies. That is on top of the course list, which is also a handful. I’m loving it though—it’s turning me on to authors I hadn’t read much before, like Guy de Maupassant and Kate Chopin.

Anyway, I don’t have any new fiction reviews for you, so Cakes stepped up to fill in. Her latest obsession is Cock-a-Doodle Quack Quack, a sweet little book about a young rooster who doesn’t know how he’s supposed to wake everyone up in the morning. He asks all his barnyard pals, including Cakes’ favourites, the ducky ducks, but no one can give him the right answer. Finally, the wise old owl sets him straight: if he listens, he will learn. Whimsically illustrated with gorgeous, vivid colour, the book is charming. You picked a winner Cakes.

***




Well, I’m not be perfect, or funny, or just, or thinking, but apparently I rock! Sam at Temporarily Me has awarded me with my very first blogging award, The Rockin’ Girl Blogger. Thanks so much, that rocks! I’ll pass it on to crazymumma, who I'll be rockin' with up North this weekend. Can't wait.

***

The Future is a No Brainer

If you’re into some toilet humour for a rainy summer evening, check out Idiocracy. Created by Mike Judge, the man behind Office Space and Beavis and Butt-head, Idiocracy begins in present time. The high-IQ men and women are postponing childbearing, choosing to establish careers and financial stability first. Meanwhile the, ahem, less intelligent are reproducing like rabbits, creating a weaker and weaker gene pool.

Luke Wilson stars as Private Joe Bauers, who is selected by the US Military for a top-secret hibernation experiment because of his average intellect. Due to a lack of willing female military candidates, Rita, a local prostitute, is also selected to participate. The hibernation was to last only a year, but after a huge scandal the man in charge is arrested and Joe and Rita are soon forgotten, the pods in which they lay frozen eventually built over by a super-store.

Fast-forward to 500 years later. The population is dumb as hell and the world is in trouble. Big corporations rule the planet, the president is the smack-down champion and language has deteriorated to a combination of grunts and slang. When a garbage avalanche (we still don’t know what to do with our garbage) dislodges Joe and Rita’s pods, they emerge to find themselves the smartest folks in the world and the future is in their hands.

I love me some low comedy. Idiocracy is a very entertaining satire.

My flix list is getting low. What have y’all seen on DVD lately?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent choice Metro Mama! This movie is brilliant! I watched it four times in two weeks, I couldn't stop.

8:24 AM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

just saw Little Children last night and loved it.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just watched HBO's Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren. Excellent.

Also in my queue, Dead Like Me, a former HBO or ShoTime series that I've been catching the SciFi Channel. I've ordered the first season disc so I can see the beginning. It's a pretty good show.

You've probably already seen Stranger than Fiction. If not, you would probably enjoy it, especially given your current educational pursuits.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

We just saw Pan's Labyrinth and loved it. Mr Earth had been hemming and hawing about it for weeks, and was forced to admit that he thought it was really good.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

I haven't watched ANYTHING for ages! And all I've been reading are really vintage mysteries.
Up NORTH, you say? Are you guys going to be in my neck of the woods?

11:49 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Beck: we're going to North Bay.

PG: That one's on my list. Can't wait.

ML and NoMo: Good ideas! They're on my list now!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

Met,
I saw a terrific movie the other day, an unexpected bundle of terrificness. i'd be interested to know if you've seen it.

The Secret Life of Words.

hugs to mumma.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

We recently saw "The Queen". Loved it.

Now, get back to work. ;)

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo I think I'd love that movie.

And congrats you Rockin Mama!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

I hate it when I don't have time to read :(

10:32 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Um...Dora's Pirate Ship Adventure?

LOL!

9:29 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I'm watching OC episodes on DVD - does that count?

have fun up north!

11:13 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I think I must see this. I loooves me some Beavis and Butthead.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Sugared Harpy said...

I tried so hard with this movie and I just couldn't stand it!

I lovessss low comedy and Mike Judge but no, I hated this one. Too obvious, too irritating, too blechy. I tried! I'm so glad someone loved it though, I wanted to.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

You'll have to tell us your conclusions about Alice Munro. Beck's post has got me curious - is she really as bad as she seems?

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.