metro mama

Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Opposite of Dooced!

Remember how I resolved to goof off on facebook less? Well, a couple of weeks ago, I was doing just that when I noticed a friend had joined a group for young people in the publishing business. Follower that I am, I joined the group, where I spotted a posting for an entry-level job in online marketing for a big publishing house. How freakishly perfect is that! Of course, I immediately got to work updating the old resume. After an exciting, sleepless interval, with two interviews in one week (and me rushing out to buy a new suit the day before a very fast second interview) I am very pleased to tell you I will be starting my new career in publishing in two weeks!

The whole thing still seems pretty surreal. I hardly dared hope I would get the job, then I thought, how the hell will it work with school? They’ve agreed to let me do four days a week until classes are done. Luckily, I’m freakishly ahead in my work. Cakes can start school full-time next week, and I am going to work my ass off during spring break to get more ahead. So it will be a very, very busy March, but not unmanageably so, and so worth it.

The oddest thing is, when I started blogging I was so paranoid about protecting my identity. Because of the nature of this job, I included my blog in my application. During the interviews I talked about internet dating, and all the friends I’ve met online. I don’t know how much they read--I must say, it was a weird feeling knowing a prospective employer may be reading about your sex life--but in any event, it didn’t seem to hurt me! So, I am officially out of the closet. The only people who haven’t read my blog now are my mother and mother-in-law (they both know about it, but know they’re not allowed to read). And you know what? It feels liberating.

The other thing I’ve come to realize this week is I am really, really ready to go back to work. I’m only on campus one day a week now, and it’s just not enough. I actually enjoy going to an office every day, and having a reason to get dressed, and having people to talk to. I’m starting to go a little batty reading books all day in my pyjamas. I never thought I’d see the day.

Oh internets, I am happy, happy, happy!

Labels:

37 Comments:

Blogger ewe are here said...

This is so exciting!

Congratulations!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

congratulations!
such a perfect fit for you (from what you've revealed via your blog cause of course that's the only 'you' i know). you sound so excited, and rightly so.
ugh...just realized something (something really selfish)
i hope this doesn't mean you'll never have time to blog or read or post book reviews because i will totally miss that!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Congrats! Sounds wonderful! Going to work will bring so much to your life as well...it's a nice feeling!

6:20 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

That is SO awesome! Congratulations!!!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Yay! Congratulations and welcome to the industry!!!

Assertagirl

7:59 PM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

wonderful!!

(and, wow, dooce be darned!)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Fantastic news - congratulations! (This is the advantage of living in Toronto - things like that never happen to people in London.)

9:19 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Wow Congrats!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's interesting how much things have changed online in the past few years.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I know I've already said my congrats, but of course I can't reiterate it enough. And it was so fun seeing you today... I know you'll be busy, but I'd love to come over again and keep you and Cakes company soon!

4:30 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Awesome news, my friend! HOW EXCITING!

6:52 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Wow! That is totally awesome!

(I'm totally curious about the company - before I quit to stay at home I was at the company of the antarctic animal...)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

Congratulations - that's awesome for you!

11:35 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Hooray for you! As Bee would say, I'm so proud of you!
I have to add that, great of a mother as you are, you really do make a wonderful, positive addition to a work environ. Can't wait to hear all about it!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Awesome news. Congrats!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Awesome news. Congrats!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Awesome news. Congrats!

12:20 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Metro! That is SO awesome! Congratulations, lady, that is like the cinderella-y-est thing I've heard in a while, now. So good when great things happen out of the blue to good people!

12:23 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Holy crap! Metro! CONGRATULATIONS!!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

That's amazing!! Congrats!

6:17 PM  
Blogger moosh in indy. said...

That is such a perfect example of everything in your life aligning into exactly what you wanted.
It's so Oprah. And I don't even like her all that much.
Congratulations!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Congrats on the new job. That's so cool!

2:56 AM  
Blogger Jer said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!
I am sooo happy for you!

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Way to use your blog to get ahead in the world. ;-)

9:34 AM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

A job... a real job... with real clothes and everything... siiiigh.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Highwaisted said...

that is so friggin rad julie! best of luck on the first day!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you.

You will rock this my friend. I just know it.

Yay!

10:31 PM  
Blogger anneglamore said...

When things work out that beautifully, you know it's meant to be.

Congrats!

8:47 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Happy is good! Weeee...

11:50 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Metro honey I am so damn happy for you!

Cakes full time? Wow, you are a train in full steam...lets go celebrate!

9:35 PM  
Blogger karla said...

Wow. The internet is perpetually more and more awesome. Congratulations!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Well, I've said this off-blog, but's worth saying here: CONGRATS!!!!

11:18 PM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Yay!!!! Super congrats to you! You deserve it, mama!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Congratulations! It's great when extra effort pays off. I know the feeling on the "second interview suit" too. The interviewers might not notice, but maybe they would.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! Rock on you!!!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

Congrats! What an amazing job for you!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Metro! That's FREAKISHLY fabulous!!! ;) Can't wait to hear MORE!!!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.