metro mama

Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Not-So-Secret Blog

When I applied for my job, after careful deliberation I included the name of my blog in my cover letter. I figured I’d greatly increase my chance of being hired to do blogger outreach if I demonstrated the fact I’d been blogging regularly for two years.

I keep the blog under wraps at work now. I want to have the freedom to talk about sex, or muffin tops, or post pictures of drunk bloggers. I’ve done a couple of presentations at work where I’ve mentioned I’m a blogger, but I don’t say the name (even when asked!) and I’ve removed the link on my Facebook page. The only one in my team who reads my blog is my immediate boss, and she just started her maternity leave (she’s very nice, and I never felt too weird about her reading it anyway).

So I was caught off guard the other day during my very first meeting with an author, Terry Fallis, who recently won the Stephen Leacock award for his political satire, The Best Laid Plans. The book originally aired as a podcast, and after the final installment he turned his site into a blog, documenting first his experience self-publishing his book, and now the publication process with M&S.

At the meeting, I was introduced as a fellow blogger, and his first question, with pen poised, was the name of my blog! I stuttered a bit, then blurted it out. My boss piped in, “it’s a mommy blog”, to which I immediately replied (a little too defensively perhaps) “I blog about books too!”

So Mr. Fallis, if you do make your way here, welcome! It was lovely meeting you. I guess I’m out of the closet. If you come across the words, “muffin top”, please move on to the next post.

While I’m on the subject of work, I have some excellent news! My job will be changing a little bit, and will include more work with publicists and authors, getting them familiar with social media. This will be a lot of fun, and will also require me to work at the fancy downtown office a few days per week! And I’ll be able to work from home Friday mornings, at least while we’re on summer hours! I can’t tell you how happy I am about this. I have been feeling so guilty about driving to work each day. Now it’s a 10-minute streetcar ride, and I could even walk. Sweet, right? And perfect timing with gas prices as they are.

How are y’all coping with the crazy gas prices?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Beck said...

My dad announced at a town council meeting that I have a blog. Thanks, Dad!

We're considering buying a small car because my husband has to commute and there's no way around it, short of moving closer to work which is just NOT happening.

1:04 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

That's awesome, metro!

Me, I'm a TTCer anyhow, but it was tough with Misterpie working so far away. teh good news is, he's moving schools, and will be MUCH closer to home come fall. Lower costs and more time! Whatever will we do with more time and money?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

I have managed to keep my blog/identity under wraps...well you know my identity but I trust you not to share that info...and who would you share it with anyway right?
Congrats on the great news about your job, you sound so enthusiastic and pleased with your career which is wonderful.
As for gas prices...I drive very little like back and forth to the school if Mouse isn't taking the bus and for groceries etc. I nearly fell over when I filled up my car, something I only do about once every three weeks if that (sometimes my husband does it for me and then it's like once a month!). It's the food prices that affect me more than anything.

2:42 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I was wondering how the work/blog balancing act was going; hopefully you'll still feel free enough to write about whatever personal stuff you feel like. Or maybe you should pull up roots and make one blog a personal blog, and make one a book world blog?

And hey, if my boss can watch me on sextv, surely yours can read a post every now and then ;)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Fabulous news re. your job. Enjoy it!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to meet you the other day. Sorry if I've contributed to blowing your cover. Looking forward to working together and to reading your blog. I've subscribed...

Ter

5:39 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I think your blog would be best described as a erotic literary journey through life including motherhood that will enthrall and titillate you.

I MOSTLY bike.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good move in the job!
As for gas prices I close my eyes when I'm filling up unfortunately. With my 45 minute commute each way I racked up $250 in gas bills last month just for my car...it's insane.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I'm still hesitant to tell anyone about my blog (mostly because I still don't consider myself a writer, but rather, a person who writes.)

I try to take the stroller instead of driving. It's hot these days.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

I'm so glad your job is working out so well. I'm within walking distance of my work - even if I do have to drive when G goes to his sitters - and I feel soooo lucky...

10:53 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

the more i hear about your job, the more awesome it sounds! i'm so glad for you!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Literalicious said...

Rest assured I never read your blog for professional reasons. Muffin tops and drunken bloggers must prevail! :-D

...And yes, I'm still reading from my lazyboy recliner. ;)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

The people at the Children's Defense Fund and SELF Magazine are now reading my blog. It is WEIRD. Heh.

3:10 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Yes how is that I can tell people that I blog about gossip more easily than my mommy blog? When did gossip become more credible than being a parent? That's very scary.

I long for summer hours...

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.