metro mama

Friday, November 21, 2008

Metro's Holiday Gift Guide

Dear lord, another week has gone by without blogging. I just can’t seem to be a good blogger these days. I am ashamed and embarrassed about not writing a book review in so long. To be honest, it’s not just that I’m busy, but I feel much more self-conscious about writing book reviews these days. I know there is a much greater chance the author, or a colleague will read and think my words are inane, or clichéd. I’ve never posted negative reviews, so you don’t have to worry I will try to market a book I’m not really behind here, but I’m finding it harder and harder to choose my words.

Anyway, I’ve decided to get over it, and get back to writing about books and pretend no one else is reading (which is almost true). I’m going to start by playing catch-up with some of my favourite books since summer, in the form of a gift guide. I’ll give you all of my personal faves, just a few at a time. And you really should buy books for Christmas gifts. They’re great value, and such a personal choice. Plus, it hasn’t exactly been the best year for the publishing biz, and you want me to keep my cool job, right?

On to the first list..

Fiction for Her


Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

As you all know, I’m the biggest Alice Munro fan, and few writers compare. Well, Jhumpa Lahiri is an exception. She too writes short stories about families and women, and her prose is exquisite. Lahiri’s stories are subtle, wise, wonderful little gems.

Read more about the book.








The Story of a Widow by Musharraf Ali Farooqi

This is the gentle, funny, and slightly naughty tale of an Indian woman learning how to assert her independence from her family and community after the death of her husband.

I couldn’t believe this was written by a man (who is a genuine and lovely Toronto author by the way).

Read more about the book.








The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
This is an original, emotional, elegant epistolary novel set in 1946 at the end of World War II. The book is composed of a series of letters between London writer Juliet, and the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society, born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island. This book is charming, captivating, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Read about the book.

Coming next: Fiction for Him

See more book recommendations, and get 30% off plus free shipping here.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

AAAH! I read the Guernsey Potato Peel book awhile back and had the HARDEST time describing it to people! I think I settled for 'A lot like a good Rosamunde Pilcher but with better (more believable) characters.' Thanks for these!

8:00 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

I really enjoyed Guernsey Literary Potato... I thought it was an easy but terrific read. Really well done.

I've been eyeing The Story of A Widow for awhile now, and will definitely have to pick that up at some point.

8:21 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I bought two books yesterday!
Now I will have to buy more....

5:15 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Well, now you've got me interested in Guernsey...but I will have to finish Bitten first.

11:03 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

now that i'm back to work and taking the subway there, i feel like i have time to read again. these look really good.

11:51 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

I just finished The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society and LOVED it.
One of my favs so far this year.

9:20 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

hey baby. I am reading a book I really like right now, I think it is one of yours, let me know. It is called The Road. i love it. So spare.

6:07 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

The Story of a Widow, for some reason, is really grabbing me. I'm having a hard time reading, what with the barely sleeping at night thing...I might ask for this for Christmas. :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Those look spiffy. (adding books to my list RIGHT NOW!)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Guernsey book has been on my list for awhile now. I really, really want to read it.

Maybe I should let people know by adding it to my Amazon.com wish list. Hmmm... what a novel idea!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Barrie said...

I just finished Testimony by Anita Shreve. Yowser! I stayed up way too late reading.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.