metro mama

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pride and Prejudice – New But Not Improved

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -- Jane Austen


I am so behind with movies. This never used to be the case. Lately it seems to take me three nights to get through one film--completely destroys the pace.

I just saw King Kong last week (stupid, stupid, stupid. Jurassic Park with a monkey). Tonight I finally saw the latest adaptation of my beloved Pride and Prejudice. I was a little afraid to watch it, thinking I’d hate it compared to the BBC version (the definitive P&P). There is no comparison, but I thought this version was pretty damn good. It was faithful to the novel. The ballroom scene and the scenes at Pemberly and Rosings were beautiful.



I wasn’t sure about this Darcy at first, but I warmed up to him. Of course, he doesn’t hold a candle to Colin Firth's Darcy with that stern countenance and the underlying smouldering emotion. Kiera Knightly is a magnetic Elizabeth Bennett (except I don’t believe everyone thought Jane was prettier than she). I love the scene where Lizzie shuts down Lady Catherine, played by an appropriately formidable Judi Dench.

What’s up with Bingley’s hair? He doesn’t have bad hair in the novel.

If you’re looking for more good Austen adaptations, check out Ang Lee’s Sense and Sensibility and the Gywneth Paltrow Emma. The Bollywood, Bride and Prejudice, is lots of fun.

Now if I could only get a chance to see Brokeback Mountain. Am I the only one who hasn’t yet?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

All I can say is - my favourite movie line ever: "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." No one can possibly compete with Colin Firth, so the director of this latest version was wise not to try - none of that restrained passion, none of that oh-so-attractive arrogance, but a pretty nice guy (and no competition with Keira Knightley's Elizabeth for centre stage).

Jane's beauty is a always a problem for any film adaptation, and of course, almost no one is pretty when they get within three feet of Keira Knightley. But at least they tried to give her bad hair.

Love the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma too. Not everyone does, but I thought it was much better than the BBC's Kate Beckinsale version that came out at the same time (way too much focus on all the "clues" about Frank Churchill and Jane Fairfax, as if anyone has time to puzzle them all out when they're watching a live-action drama).

3:00 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Good catch! I agree, that was wise of them to leave that line out.

I haven't seen the BBC Emma.

Good news...I'm told the director of the BBC P&P is slated to do Emma and S&S.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.