metro mama

Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

We just returned from a fabulous Thanksgiving (our favourite holiday) with BP’s family in Kingston. Both of his sisters were there, whom we haven’t seen in months. The weather was amazing, and we had some good walks. We took Cakes to the spot where BP proposed:



And they held hands where we were married:



Cakes acquired a taste for leaves:



But not all varieties:



I was so excited for Cakes to try her first turkey dinner:



She didn’t like anything. She ate smoked salmon and pasta instead.

The adults ate like kings. Friday night, we had crab cakes to start, and scallops for dinner; Saturday, the wonderful traditional turkey feast; Sunday, gorgeous grilled steaks. I ate lots of chocolate pie, one of my favourites. My mother-in-law got up in the morning with Cakes and we got to sleep in—two days in a row! Spoiled, we are.

Because it was a full house, we slept in the Bert and Ernie room. You can see how it got its name:



We had a perfect weekend until our trip home today. Exactly halfway home, in Colbourne, our car broke down. We have been thinking about replacing it for a while, and had already selected the Honda Civic as its replacement, but we were trying to run it into the ground. Well folks, I think it is finally done. I’m really glad this didn’t happen in the middle of winter when I was alone with Cakes. Luckily, someone stopped for us right away. They gave Cakes and I a ride to the gas station; there was no room for her car seat so she had to ride the half-mile in my lap. I felt like Britney Spears. We were able to get a tow truck with an extendacab that fit the carseat. The driver was really nice and gave us a good deal—my shitty CAA membership only paid for the first 10 km and we were on the hook for the other 140.

Our neighbours were outside when finally got home. After hearing about our ordeal they declared we deserve cocktails, so we’re going next-door as soon as Cakes goes to bed. Papa has taken her to the park to wear her out. With the fresh air, and the exciting ride home we’ll be sipping a martini by 7.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I love the pictures, especially the last one. :)

6:41 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

Sounds, at least, like a happy (hic*) ending to quite a highway ordeal.

7:10 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

That sounds like a great time, with lovely surroundings and luscious meals. Perfect.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Bert and Ernie room - LOL.

Every time I see photos of your ILs place, with the lake in the background, I get so jealous.

8:50 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

It sounds heavenly. 'Cepting the car situation of course.....

9:32 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

dude, you get yourself caa plus with that new car, y'hear?

and, no need to wonder why you like to spend so much time at the inlaws!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Those pictures of Cakes are so darn cute! And your holiday sounds like it was wonderful. I'm salivating after reading about all that great food.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great pictures and it sounds like a great time. I especially love the pic of Cakes and BP holding hands where you were married. One for the scrapbook, definitely!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

Wow, I can't believe your car broke down! Glad you're all okay and that you got help fast.

LOVE the pics. Cakes is adorable! My monkey ate NOTHING at Thanksgiving dinner tonight either. My mom gave her frozen cookies. She's teething, I'm thinking. I'm detoxing, so I ate nothing, too. sucked.

It's so beautiful -- brings tears to my eyes -- that you took Cakes to that beautiful, meaningful spot. :)

12:07 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like you had a lot of great food. You've made me hungry...and I still have two weeks to go until our Thanksgiving!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I mean, over a MONTH to go until Thanksgiving....see, you made me so hungry that I'm in denial that I have to wait so long. :)

1:05 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Two mornings in a row to sleep in - such luxury!

Sorry about the car. Enjoy the new one when you get it!

4:53 AM  
Blogger moplans said...

yikes hope you enjoyed the cocktails! Not a perfect end to the weeked but up to that point it sounded fantastic. Love the photos and the leaf tasting.

7:30 AM  
Blogger moplans said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ernie & Bert room? lololol

Those photos are great, esp. that place with all the rocks. And smoked salmon and pasta, huh? Cakes has a very sophisticated palate!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the ernie and bert room.


happy thanksgiving! i spent mine in the van driving back from my parents. fun, fun. (but, shh...don't tell...i'm a big celebrator of american thanksgiving...)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

sounded like a wonderful thanksgiving, minus the breakdown. You'll be happy with the civic, I have one and it's been the greatest, no problems at all!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend! I am jealous. What fabulous photos ... thanks for sharing them.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Nice picts!!

12:34 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Ali: we get to celebrate both--my sister-in-law lives in the US, so now we celebrate both thanksgivings. It's a sweet deal.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.