metro mama

Friday, December 15, 2006

Metro Recommends: The Emperor's Children

The Emperor’s Children is Claire Messud’s first fiction. The satirical novel revolves around three friends in their early thirties making their way in New York: Marina, daughter of a celebrated journalist, is trying to finish her first book, already several years overdue; Danielle, documentary producer, is having an affair with Marina’s father; Julius, a broke freelance critic being “kept” by his successful boyfriend, flirts with his wild side. Their lives are intersected by the arrival of Marina’s cousin Bootie, an ambitious, naïve, aspiring intellectual.

Though the characters are not particularly likeable they are engaging and well drawn. The book is a funny glimpse into the world of the New York intelligentsia. The final chapters of the story take an unexpected twist that will have you turning pages.

Claire Messud lives in Somerville, Massachusetts with her husband and two children.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

wanna hear something really stupid? the review was great, but i don't think i can read it because my ex-boyfriend's first girlfriend after me was named marina, and well, she was a twat.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That you are able to find time to read is impressive. That you read AND review, even more so! I am a slow reader. I'm not "slow", just a slow reader - heh, heh!

Anywho, have you read "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly. I just finished it and it was super! ("Super"?! I watch too many children's videos...)

11:26 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I agree with No Mother Earth. I am always impressed with all the reading you get done ... the most I can manage is to read your well-written reviews :)

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you gave the book such a good review if the characters are not particularly likeable.

Thanks for another review. I'm vicariously reading through you!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.