metro mama

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Toiling in the Kitchen

We went for a play date across the street last week and my neighbour put out a plate of healthy muffins for the kids. Cakes went ape over them and ate the whole plate. Now, I'm not one to bake stuff but it was clearly time I start, so I got the recipe and made a batch. It was worth it to see this:






Here's the recipe. These are healthy and tasty-I'll warn you though, they turn the poop orange.

Little Punkins

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
1 egg white
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried unsweetened pineapple or apricots
1 3/4 cups apple juice concentrate
1 cup canned unsweetened solid-pack pumpkin
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon


1. Prehead oven to 350F. Lightly oil two 12-cup muffin tins, or line with cupcake liners.

2. Beat the oil, eggs, and egg white together in a large mixing bowl. Chop the raisins and other dried fruit with the apple juice concentrate in a blender or food processor; add the pumpkin and blend. Fold the pumpkin mixture into the egg and oil mixture.

3. Combine the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture; stir until just blended.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in tins for 10 min then turn out onto rack to cool completely.

Happy baking!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Run ANC said...

Thanks for this! I don't know how, but you read my mind. The Boy is crazy for muffins (or, "muppins" as he calls them), but I have yet to find a tasty - and healthy - recipe.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

never mind the muffins.
i want to eat cakes! she's sooo delicious!

3:19 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Thanks for the recipe
Cakes really seems to like them. Clearly the effort was worthwhile. I should do more of this.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give it a try and those photos are PRICELESS!

I just tagged you for a short meme if you are looking for posting fodder.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cakes is sooo adorable!

My boy enjoys muffins; might have to try at some point.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice recipe...I'll have to try it.

My boy likes muffins, but we always forget to give them to him (okay, the nanny forgets).

Thanks for the recipe!

9:01 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

what Ali said. She is too much in those photos!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I made healthy pumpkin muffins. Once. 13 years ago. Actually, they were supposedly yummy. I'm not a pumpkin fan. The funny part was I put too much pumpkin in them. Instead of one cup, I put in one can. They turned out more pudding like than muffin like. Both the boy and the husband loved them though.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

She's ADORABLE!!!! And, I'm totally making those muffins. LOVE healthy muffins. The monkey loves any muffins. :)

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is too much baby goodness! CUTE capitalized for sure.

Hmmmm... homemade muffins. Drool.

2:46 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

those pictures are way too cute!
i'll have to try this one; i have a similar recipe but it does have a little sugar in it. another healthy hint - unsweetened apple sauce can be substituted for oil, cup for cup.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I am all over that recipe! If those muffins make Chicky even slightly as happy as they made Cakes then I'll make a quadruple batch.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

thanks for the recipe! Q loves the muffins I make, but they sure could stand to be a bit healthier.

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so cute! The muffin recipe sounds really good, too. I don't know if K will eat dried pineapple or raisins, but I'll give it a shot!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.