metro mama

Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Centre Holds

When I talk (or blog) about myself in my younger days, I always joke about what a loser I was and how much I’ve changed since then. That is true—I have matured a lot, especially since I became a mother. My values have changed, I take things much more seriously and I am more responsible. However, two humorous incidents of late have made me wonder how much I’ve really changed.

Friday the phone rang and a stern recorded message asked me to call an 800 number. It turned out it was for a credit agency in Peterborough (the town where I lived in my twenties). BP and I assumed it would be about a parking ticket, but when I called the number and was put on hold for the Provincial Offences Division, I got this nagging feeling this was no parking ticket. Turns out it was an unpaid fine for consuming alcohol in public. I vaguely recall an incident with a traveller, an “uptight” police officer, and a belligerent drunk girl. Anyway, I owe them $95. BP just shook his head and told me my Christmas stocking budget is shot. Something like this is probably wouldn’t happen today. Probably not.

The second funny moment was yesterday when I was working on my term paper about Coleridge’s use of water imagery. As I sat with head in hands studying the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, I recalled a similar moment when I was sixteen. In high school I was a metal head. I hung out with the tough kids, getting high in the smoking area at school. I wore a jean jacket with a big Iron Maiden patch on the back. Iron Maiden had a song called The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. My stoned 16-year old self had gotten a copy of the Coleridge poem to try to gain a better understanding of Iron Maiden. Funny thing was, I fell in love with that poem way back then.

As much as we change, there is a core of ourselves that stays intact. I’ve always loved poetry. I’ll always resent authority.

**
Have you voted today?

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you think that the public drunkenness MAY not happen again in your maturity. But hang with the mommas we've been hanging with is no guarantee ;)

Iron Maiden eh? You crack me up.

Gonna go vote now

8:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this insight into who you are, especially the thought of you as a teenager looking up a poem to get more insight into a song.

And I laughed when I read that last line. I'm a model citizen truly, but there are aspects of authority that I always rebel against. My son finds this quite amusing because, of course, to him, I am the totalitarian life ruiner. (My nicer way of phrasing what he considers me because of the rules we have for him. He'll get over it!)

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny -alcohol in public? Metal head?
Livng the life of a rock star.

I'm glad I eventually "grew-up" - but in some ways I still feel like a 16-year old living in an adult world.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed poetry as well, including the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Maybe it's because both of my grandfathers were fishermen.

As for the belligerent drunk girl... hmm, think I've been that person. ;-)

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed poetry as well, including the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Maybe it's because both of my grandfathers were fishermen.

As for the belligerent drunk girl... hmm, think I've been that person. ;-)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I gotta say, I've never really understood why it's against the law to consume alcohol in public. I think it's far worse to be consuming alcohol all alone in your basement...(not that I'VE ever done that! of course not!..)

Are you going to pay the $95?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

love this post. i love that while we grow a bit more responsible, the core us stays the same...and hopefully we'll impart that to our kids, so they can see all of us.

7:46 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

I was more of a Black Sabbath fan myself.
In fact while shopping at TNT today they were playing
Iron Man (one of the only songs I know how to play on the piano..)
I was totally having flash backs.
oddly enough they also involved drinking in public.
I hope the kiddies never find out about what bad asses their mommas were ;)

8:07 PM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

Studying Colerdige to gain a deeper understanding of Iron Maiden?!

That's rich. (and utterly hysterical)

9:35 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I am still trying to put the Metro I know together with the picture you paint of the Metro back then. I like a chick with a past, makes her more interesting.

I guess now the only authority you bow to is Cakes....

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with anne...i can't see you being a bad girl! but...i'm so interested to hear all about it!!!!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metal is deep, man (exhale). That takes me back. All those tough boys who were really just so damn romantic with their poetry-infused metal. I loved it back then, have a soft spot for it still.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe they hunted you down! You wouldn't be fined today because they are just looking to make an example of a youthful hooligan. They turn a blind eye to us insane parents as they are not sure if we are drunk or sleep deprived.

I think we should remain true to ourselves. Hooray for the poetry loving rebel! (You can always call me if they arrest you for being sleep deprived!)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I was more of a Metallica girl myself but I'm loving this glimpse into your past, you naughty girl.

1:09 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Oh boy. You're dating yourself by saying they had a smoking area when you were in school (they did at my school, too, so I can say that).

Ugh. Coleridge makes me want to drown myself. And Iron Maiden ... well, likewise. :-) I was a G N R girl. And just tell Big P that he can fill your stocking with a cheap bottle of whiskey and then watch the fireworks. :-)

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee, maybe you should change your name to Iron Maiden.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.