metro mama

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

That's My Girl!

I recently wrote about Cakes’ stink-eye, which Bub and Pie identified as “the Murray look”. It appears it may be genetic. That makes sense—I do have an evil eye myself. I use it rarely but my poor mother was on the receiving end of it often during my difficult teenage years.

I’ve come to accept that Cakes looks like her father (even family and close friends admit she looks nothing like me). I had hoped she would also inherit the qualities I love most in her father: patience, calm, seriously easy-going. Unfortunately, her personality seems to be come from my side. Already she’s showing signs of having inherited some of my, ahem, less positive qualities:

· she's a bit obsessive-compulsive. If you leave your shoes at the back door, she will hand them to you and make you take them to the front door. If she finds things on the floor that don’t belong she’ll bring them to me—today she handed me a dried up piece of avocado she found under the sofa. Sometimes she will pick up cheerios, individually—she’ll put one in her dustpan, toddle to the green bin and deposit it;

· she’s grumpy when she wakes up until she’s had her morning bevy;

· she’s grumpy when she’s tired;

· she’s grumpy when she’s hungry;

· sometimes she talks too much—she babbles on and on about nothing;

· she has absolutely no patience-when you take too long getting her dinner ready she pounds her fists, tugs your pants, and complains;

· when you tell her not to do something she wants to do it more.

Poor Big Papa. What are you in for!?

monkey see, monkey do*



*Photo courtesy of Jana

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

love it.

isn't it amazing how they already act so much like us? i had pity on J recently for much of the same...

lovely pic.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you look wonderful - SBB snapped a great one.

I think she is just a wonderful lady - just like her mom.

8:09 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Hmmm, I'm losing my patience lately too. I say it's hereditary - I'm getting it from my kid.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe. That's exactly what we've always said about Bub: he looks like his dad but (unfortunately) gets his personality from me.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

OYYYYYYYYYYYY! She's too cute!!!! And, you look gorj! The monkey looks like a mix of her daddy and me. But, more people think she looks like him. I'm sure both Cakes and the monkey will look more like their mommies as they get older. I see more of me now than ever.

The monkey gets her smiliness from me. Thank goodness she hasn't gotten anxiety from me. She's so happy and well-adjusted. Again...thank goodness!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

The Boy is the opposite - he looks like me but his natural personality is The Husband's. He's easy-going and loves attention. Unfortunately all the "learned behaviours", he gets from me (and they ain't pretty!). I hear you on the obsessive compulsive thing - the Boy won't eat if he table is wet or if some food fell on the floor. He'll just keep saying "uh-oh" till you fix it. That's my influence!

The picture is adorable! It's so rare to have a picture together, I find, as I'm always the one behind the camera.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Y'all look so cute!

Q hates to have sticky hands and holds them out to be wiped over and over while he eats his meals. Wonder where he gets that from . . .

1:44 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Taking shoes around to the front, yes that's OCD if I ever heard it. :)

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture! Your daughter is soooo cute!

And, well, while I haven't seen your husband, I think she kind of looks like you, at least in the picture. ;-)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I think that there's definitely a resemblance between the two of you, especially in the brow, shape of the eye...

It's the opposite with WB and Husband and me... everyone says that she looks just like me, which she really sorta does, but it you look at her from the right angles, or catch a certain smile, you totally see Kyle. The attitude, though? I don't know where she gets that from. ;)

9:21 AM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

great pic.
I think you two look alot alike.
I love that cakes is O.C.
lulu is the same.
Too many shoes at the front door is a BIG pet peeve.

10:34 AM  
Blogger moplans said...

I totally see my WORST traits in K. No patience and a bad temper. Poor kid.
Great shot of the two of you.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cakes is as lovely as her mommy! She enjoys a meticulously tidy house and is a fine conversationalist. BP is a lucky man. Just look at you gorgeous girls!

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love that photo. she's too cute.

also...every time i hear "stink-eye" i laugh out loud. i must see it in person!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I SAW the stink-eye in person! It stopped me in my tracks. Cakes was "la la la la la...play play play....la la laaaaa" and then STINK-EYE to the kid trying to take her toy away. VERY effective dear Ms. Cakes, very effective!

6:16 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Nothing wrong with ocd nothing at all. She is beautiful. Curious about the post below, gonna go read and comment!

9:37 AM  
Blogger mod*mom said...

darling monkeys

4:15 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Look at you, you beautiful girls. I think it is safe to say that when all these little girls grow up the world will never be the same. Now, hopefully, we'll be able to harness all their power for good and not for evil.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.