metro mama

Monday, March 26, 2007

Things to See and Do

I’m getting free tickets in exchange for telling you about the stage adaptation of Edward Scissorhands, in town next week at the Hummingbird Centre. The show, based on the Tim Burton movie, is directed and choreographed by Matthew Bourne (Swan Lake, Mary Poppins). It looks pretty cool. I read that they needed three dancers to play the lead because of the weight of the scissor gloves, and the supporting dancers had to wear protective gear during dress rehearsal! Groovy.

There are three shows--Wednesday, April 4 through Friday, April 6 at 8 PM. If you’re interested, you can get $15 off tickets by logging on to Tickmaster.ca with the promotional code EDBLOG.

***
Get your mother’s day presents now! The One of a Kind show starts tomorrow and runs until April 1.

***

Despite the fact it won the Oscar, we watched The Departed last night. I was pleasantly surprised--it was really good. Mark Wahlburg steals the show as a foul-mouthed sergeant.

Coincidentally, tonight the neighbours and I went to see the film that won best foreign flick at the Oscars this year, The Lives of Others. It was excellent. The film begins in East Berlin, five years before the fall of the Berlin Wall. A member of the Stasi, East Germany’s powerful secret police, spies on a famous writer and his actress girlfriend, gradually becoming more and more involved in their lives and disillusioned with his career. It was interesting from a political perspective, as well as a human drama. I highly recommend this film.

What are you guys seeing and doing lately?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger 11111111 said...

Whoa, The Departed was terrible. Long, dull. Sure, the acting was strong, but wa-a-a-ay too many close-range bullets to the head.

1:18 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

We have been meaning to watch the Departed for a while. We just saw Borat.

The Edward Scissorhands production looks very interesting.

2:22 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

denguy: Yes, it was a little on the long side. I still liked it though.

Blue: Did you like Borat? That is one I'm hearing has been over-hyped.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I want to see the Departed. The most I've been watching lately is Dora, 6teen, franklin...OMG, I need to get out of the house!!!

7:41 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

the departed was good, wasn't it? i love the one of a kind - are you going? i almost never buy anything, except a pot of jam or something, but still, it's fun to look.
i heard that there are no words to esh - you'll have to tell me how it is.

8:02 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

p.s. watched borat this weekend. definitely some laugh-out-loud moments, but some oh-god-look-away-make-it-stop moments too. keep in mind that he is an orthodox jew and very smart, and it makes it a lot better.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

The Edward Scissorhands show looks really cool. I wish it was coming close to us!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVED the departed. i thought it was really well done.

9:27 AM  
Blogger SuperP. said...

I want to know how ES is! I want to go too!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I liked the Departed. I thought it was pretty good for a mob movie. I'm going to see Adam Sandler's new flick tomorrow.

Went to Eric Clapton's concert on Sunday. His stage show sucks, but you can't beat his music.

But I'm really just counting the days until May, when B.B. King comes to town. I have great seats and I can't wait to watch a legend perform.

1:40 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

You mean mother's day presents for ourselves right?
I'll be there.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this production of Edward Scissorhands in London last Christmas. It's excellent - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Mark Wahlberg always steals he show, doesn't he? Ever since he pulled on those CK undies. *lol*

9:57 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

we just rented the departed this week as well.
I liked Wahlberg-but had a hard time getting past his bad hair.
But I looooved Leo.
was never much of a fan before-but I thought he was excellent.
want to rent Blood Diamond this weekend.
need to see more Leo.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.