metro mama

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Ode to Hamstead

We're having so much fun on this trip. There are record breaking temps right now and everyone is out and about enjoying it. Last night we caught a comedy show on a boat on the Thames. The comics were hilarious, and what a lovely setting. We hit a pub in Soho on the way home, then passed out from exhaustion.

Today we were up and at it early---we headed to Camden Market, which I just adored. The place goes on and on, it's a maze of shops and stalls--a smorgasbord of handicrafts, clothing, accessories, furniture, you name it. Also lots of cool goth stuff. We bought lots of souvenirs--a handpainted still from Kill Bill, a plaque of a pub sign, earrings for me, a Sid Vicious tee for Cakes. The variety of food vendors was incredible too. We had some excellent Indian food for lunch.






We spent the afternoon lolling about Hamstead Heath--a gorgeous, gorgeous park, twice the size of High Park (800 acres). Afterwards, we had dinner and strawberry beer at my favourite pub so far, The Spaniards Inn in Hamstead. Playing fields of the Highwaymen. Byron drank there. Keats supposedly wrote Ode to a Nightingale there. It was a huge, beautiful beer garden.





After that, we grabbed Belgium chocolate crepes, then went on another London Walk, in Hamstead. What a stunning place (and over the years, home to many celebrated figures, and many writers. Keats Museum is here (I still haven't made it to any museums though, the weather's too nice to be indoors). We saw the home where Sid Vicious lived and wrote God Save the Queen. Of course, we patronized a few more pubs.

Now, it's time for a tea and biscuits, and off to bed.

Pub tally: 14

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

Sounds amazing, Metro!

6:13 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

I am seriously jealous.

It's still cold and gray here. Well we saw the sun for a bit this morning but I still needed mittens.

Enjoy!

6:41 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

14 Pubs! You are hardcore.
I love the food vendors at Camden Market. Mmmm I'm so jealous.

8:56 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I love your pub tally!

Sure you make us all green with envy about your trip but then you top it off with the "up and it early." We already know you are having fun, let's not get carried away.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Just getting caught up on all my Metro Mama reading after a wee break ... and I couldn't be more jealous of your trip. Sounds like SO much fun. I can't wait to see all the pics :)

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strawberry beer in a sunny day - I'm sooo jealous. But I feel like I'm getting a mini vacation just reading about it - keep the posts coming....or as much Big Papa will allow :).

AEH

11:19 AM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Seriously these posts have to stop! As you can see by all your commenters we are so jealous!!!! I love these posts, the descriptions are great. And I've never heard of strawberry beer.

2:56 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Camden market.
Now you are bringing back memories.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Mmm. Tea and biscuits. Could have them here but it's so much better in England.

11:00 AM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

my brother-in-law has a flat in hamstead heath and I am soooo jealous.
I have a feeling I know where that crepe place is..
mmm....
I absolutely love it there.
the trip sounds like fun so far,
I must keep reading.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.