metro mama

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

So Tired

* Update: Pics being added to posts below.

Sorry for disappearing on you. The rest of the trip was wonderful and I'll tell you all about it in a day or two when I know my own name.

Yesterday, McH and I boarded our plane at 6 PM (Paris time) to return home and commented how fantastic our vacation luck was this time. Usually it's very bad. For instance, we got food poisoning on our honeymoon. This trip was perfection. Until we tried to go home.

We started heading towards the runway then we stopped and the captain came on. Bad sign. Engine trouble. After sitting on the plane for an hour, they took us back to the terminal. This is Charles de Gaulle terminal 3, which is practically a barn (there is nothing there - one cafe, that's it). They had given us vouchers for a sandwich but we discovered the cafe folks would give us beer for them. We got a table with this fun couple who had just backpacked around Thailand, Amsterdam, Greece, London and Paris for three months. We made the best of a bad situation and seven hours later, we were back on the plane.

Six more hours later (still no sleep, despite beer buzz and free wine they plied us with in apology) we arrive for our stop in Montreal at 2 AM (9 AM Paris time) to learn we're not allowed to continue on to Toronto. Fuck. Me. So they decide to send us to a hotel. This was such a joke. It started out somewhat organized. There was a queue, until somebody spotted the first shuttle. Then, free for all. My Amazing Race viewing paid off. "Stay with me!" I shout to McH. I dash out a side door and sprint for the shuttle. We make the first one. Upon arrival at the hotel I sprint to the desk for check-in. Finally, by 4:30 Montreal time (11:30 AM Paris time) we hit the sheets. We had to be back at the airport by 11:00 today and finally made it home to Toronto at 3:30. I don't know what the fuck day it is anymore.

The good news is Cakes is wonderful. She squealed in delight when she saw us. She had a super time with her grandparents. I'll write more when I can see straight.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

welcome home! can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

9:34 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Welcome home!
That is great news about cakes.

The last time I was at Charles De Gaulle they kept annoucing that the person who left the bag at guest services needed to return. For TWENTY MINUTES.
In london you get one warning - maybe- before they blow the thing up.

10:06 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Ugh! The home stretch sounds awful. Glad you're finally back though.

I can't help feeling like I'm on Amazing Race when I travel.

Glad you got such a nice homecoming from Cakes.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!!!

And I'm happy to hear about Cakes.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Welcome back! That sounds like a neverending trip back. Hope you got some good reading in, at least.

2:49 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Welcome home!!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

welcome home!
I can't believe you have the energy to blog..
you are one dedicated blogger.
glad you're back.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

ooooh, Europe? I hope you had a great trip despite the airline troubles!

8:40 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

All I can think is thank god you did not have Cakes with you!

Welcome back...looking forward to hearing all about it.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.