metro mama

Monday, April 16, 2007

My Cup Runneth Over

There's just so much of everything here: so much history, so many museums, pubs, entertainers, parks, monuments. I feel like I'm at a buffet with all of my favourite foods and I'm trying to squeeze as many items on my plate as I can. My plate is getting heavy, but I'm not yet full. I'm puking it out here so I can go back and gorge some more.

Yesterday we went to the East End. We went to Spitalfields market, and I just about lost my mind. There were endless artisans selling the most beautiful jewellry and clothing, for amazing prices. I bought myself a goreous skirt--girly-girl meets rock 'n' roll for only £10. What didn't impress me was the fact that I wear size XL here. WTF? After that, we went to Brick Lane, where we bought tees for £1. Then, we hopped over to Bloomsbury where I looked (unsuccessfully) for Virgina Woolf's house. We rested in a lovely park (I can't get over how spotless the parks are here) then we tackled the British Museum. The building itself is something to see, I'm so glad we went. We checked out the mummies and the Rosetta Stone. Then, home for a quick change then we headed out to a cabaret. It was a new experience, but not exactly McHotty's cup of tea. We ducked out early and lucked upon a fabulous blues band at the Ain't Nothing But the Blues Bar. Sweet.




Today we split up again. I headed straight to the National Gallery, which I loved. It was not nearly as overwhelming as I expected. I particularly loved seeing The Umbrellas and At the Theatre. Then I zipped down to the V&A which was really overwhelming. I kept going in circles. Finally I spent some time looking at Cast Courts--reproductions of important pieces of sculpture and architecture (including Michelangelo). After that, I needed a break from museums, so I went back to Covent Garden. What a lively, fun place to spend a sunny afternoon. I had fish & chips at a pub, then bought a cup of tea and hung out watching buskers for an hour or so. They have the best buskers there--from opera singers, to classical ensembles, to a juggler on an eight-foot unicycle, they were all fabulous.




McH and I are hooking up soon, and I think we're going to go back to the Spaniards tonight for dinner and a pint and have an early night. Tomorrow we're going loosey goosey--we're going to start out in The City and just wander wherever we please. Tomorrow night we're going to see Spamelot, then Wednesday we're off to Stratford-Upon Avon for a couple of nights, then a day in Bath (you know I wouldn't come to England without going to Bath). We're back here for Friday night, then heading to Paris for the rest of the trip.

Ta ta for now!

Pub tally: 19

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger 11111111 said...

Ooo, I'd like to hear all about Spamelot.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This really is the trip of a lifetime, isn't it.

(I have a book called Literary London. It takes you on a tour of London's literarily significant spots. It's too bad I couldn't have loaned it to you!)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Studying for a final and stuffing my face with swedish berries. Still jealous!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Sounds like you are having a good time :)

4:58 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Hey you are doing great! I thought your list of things to do was ambitious but you are a vacation machine.
I am so glad you made it to the British Museum and the V&A.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Karla Zamora, Digital Analyst said...

Wow...sounds so wonderful. It reminds me of my vacations pre-baby.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.