metro mama

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Even June Cleaver Would Forget the Juice Box

I probably could have used this book a year ago when I was much more insecure about my ability to mother. In Even June Cleaver Would Forget the Juice Box, author Ann Dunnewold tells us how and why to reject falling into the trap of chasing the dream of being a perfect mother and offers a new paradigm for mothering--the perfectly good mother.

The perfectly good mother is herself, not who others expect her to be, and she accepts her faults; she looks after herself, and puts her needs first sometimes; she encourages family members to take responsibility for themselves; she has fun. The perfectly good mother is human.

The book also offers helpful suggestions to help make motherhood more enjoyable and less work, such as identifying your core values and focussing your energy on activities that promote these values. It also offers simple suggestions to make life easier, like cutting back on scheduled activities (I wholeheartedly agree with this one). Dunnewold also suggests ways for women to build support systems, by dropping sanctimommy buddies in favour of like-minded, non-judgmental friends for example.

Sure, it’s common sense and some of it's simplistic and even trite, but if you’re struggling with impossibly high expectations of yourself, June Cleaver is worth reading.

Ann Dunnewold is a licensed psychologist and expert on postpartum depression and anxiety. She has raised two daughters.

I have a copy of this for the first person who emails me at metro_mama@hotmail.com!

Parent Bloggers Network

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

I'm at work so can't email you, but I'd LOVE to give that book to a friend of mine who is very hard on herself.

8:44 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

are you reading like, a book a day?

8:57 AM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

Sounds like a useful book for, well, every parent-to-be!

9:27 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

a) what kgirl said...

b) I really could have used that book ten years ago....I was soooo hard on myself.

11:21 AM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

this is going on my wish list, fer sher.

1:16 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

I'd love to cut down on the scheduled activities but my wife doesn't want to, and I believe I do have a support system of like-minded, non-judgmental parents.

Sounds like an interesting book to read for a SAHF, too.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Yeah, man, please share with us your reading schedule, because I need to fit more in.

11:02 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Sorry cinn, Gabriella won it.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.