metro mama

Friday, June 15, 2007

Still Time to Win!

Just a reminder, the super-fantastic contest at MBT ends tonight at midnight. There’s still time to tell us how blogging empowers you--the winner will win a free registration to BlogHer! There’s a runner-up prize too! Find the deets here.

How does blogging empower me, you ask? I’ll tell you. Before I became a mother I worked for a really fun, dynamic music company where I considered most of my colleagues my friends. We ate lunch together every day and talked about everything: movies, books, childhood experiences, sex, philosophy, reality TV (OK, lots of talk about reality TV). The point is, I spent a lot of time talking to people, debating, learning, listening, and, occasionally, waving my arms in the air, ranting.

Since I quit my job to stay at home with Cakes, I have much less opportunity to converse with interesting, intelligent people in person (yes, Cakes is interesting and intelligent but she doesn’t talk back much). Sure, I meet lots of them at the park, but it is rare to really have a conversation with one of them. It is continuously interrupted, cut short, or distracted. It’s not enough.

In the blogosphere, I can compose my thoughts at my leisure (often more successfully than in person actually—-I’m not that articulate in person). I can engage whenever I like, with fabulous, brilliant, experienced, thoughtful, compassionate, courageous men and women. And for that, I’m most thankful. It keeps me going.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hear, hear! I so wish I knew about blogging during those looooong days (and nights) with colicky daughter #1. Who would've imagined there was a whole network of women at my fingertips?!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I just said over at Sandra's that I think that THIS - what you've said - is really the source of what we might call empowerment. Becoming a mother is our - was my - first taste of disempowerment. Of isolation, of vulnerability. That I've been able to address this disempowerment head on, through blogging, has, I think, made me much more aware of my privilege. And more determined, and possibly more able, to make a bigger difference.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

amen, lovey.

and what Bad said.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Exactly my feelings, too. Exactly.

10:35 PM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

Yes. yes yes yes

It really does help fill the 'in person' void that you had at work and out and about on a daily basis. Conversations at your leisure with lots of fabulous, interesting people...

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.