metro mama

Friday, August 03, 2007

Ebb and Flow

I’m at my in-laws’ place in Kingston for the weekend. I’m sitting next to the lake, furtively picking up someone’s very weak wireless signal, hoping I’ll be able to post this.

Earlier today, I put Cakes down for her nap and plugged her monitor in the outlet by the lake, installed in a tree by my ingenious father-in-law for our wedding a few years ago. I waded into the lake and struck out in the cool, rough water. I swam out about a hundred yards and noticed a sailboat, a couple of hundred yards away. It sailed along the water on a beam reach, the occupants struggling a little to control it in the strong wind. Enviously, I swam towards the boat, cutting through the waves, strongly, powerfully. But the boat just sailed further away. Conscious of the baby monitor, now completely out of earshot, I rolled over onto my back and let myself be carried in the opposite direction, towards the shore, towards the dear family beckoning back on land.

Towards the chocolate pie beckoning from its haven in the fridge.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Beautiful post -- it's a constant balance, this pull between free and alone, and tied and together, huh? Lakes always bring out to pensive in me too. Until someone starts splashing.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

it's that invisible velvet cord wrapped around our waists, isn't it. we venture out, but it's never very far. enjoy your delicious sounding weekend.

4:41 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

chocolate and parenthood - no stronger combination.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well lakes and sailboats can feel mystical, but seriously? You just can't beat chocolate.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Sounds like a heavenly weekend.

10:38 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

sounds divine.
nice work picking up the wireless.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a truly lovely day.

I hope the pie was delicious.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, warm Ontario summer lakes. We're heading to Rice Lake for the weekend soon and I can't wait. Your post made me super anxious to get out there, too.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolate pie...

My grandma used to make me chocolate pie for every birthday because I don't like cake.

Yummmy.

I'm trying hard to focus on the pie and not the fact that you are at a lake, enjoying yourself, while I'm at home, with two sick kids and it's raining....

2:13 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the long weekend!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely words.

And water is powerful for me too.

10:06 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

sigh.

sounds wonderful.

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.