metro mama

Friday, November 23, 2007

Crunch Time

I can’t believe it, the end of my first term is approaching already. You can tell by the sight of my desk:



I wonder if I really need three Oscar Wilde biographies, or if I’m just postponing working on the more boring stuff?

Actually, none of it is boring. Here’s what I’m working on now: presentations on Oscar Wilde, Mary Ann Shadd, and Dionne Brand (all in the next week! that was poor planning on my part). I’m almost finished a paper on Susanna Moodie’s style in Roughing It in the Bush. I’m just starting to percolate ideas for a paper on maternal representations in Victorian lit (due later in Dec), as well as a paper on Blood Meridian (due in January. I’m thinking about writing about McCarthy’s use of violence. I could also tie in violence in film, but it’s such a big topic).

I have some research to do over the holidays about Literary Impressionism—should be very interesting.

I’ve read some great books this term. Will try to write a little about them soon; in the meantime, here’s a little list:

In Another Place, Not Here – Dionne Brand
The New York Trilogy – Paul Auster
Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy
Roughing It in the Bush – Susanna Moodie

I know there are one or two students reading this blog (if you still have time to read). What are you working on now?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mouse said...

I'm working on a history paper about the significance of eclipses in the particular authors we read. Not entirely inspiring, but my goal was to have a well-defined topic that would make it easier for me to just get done (I am so much more a literature than history person!)

Otherwise, also working on some readings for my comps.

And moving.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My classes in Reading Education are very different from what you are experiencing! I'm working on a project in which I have to teach one stratey for improving reading comprehension from literal to interpretative levels. I have to teach the strategy to three people from middle school age and above. After that, I get to do a paper with a two-literature review, explain my method, and discuss my findings.

I also have a Power Point presentation to do for a Technology in Language Arts class. Of course, the fun part is, I'm using a blog as the basis for the lesson the PP is about.

Other than those two things, I have just one more assignment and four chapters to read, then I'm done with my first semester. Yeah!

Good luck with your papers. I'd love to read them sometime!

10:49 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Du...uuuuddde.

I am working on nothing but getting you out for an evening.

But this all sounds really interesting and I really want to have time to hear all about it.

Call me when all is said and done. Look forward to talking with you!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I just can't get in to Hardy.

Looking forward to getting together when your semester is over though.

2:53 AM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

Yeah, um, Bossy has been doing a lot of napping. With some deep sleeps on the side.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

duuuuh....

feeling kinda stupid over here.

your office/desk is so beautiful and tidy.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.