metro mama

Saturday, December 22, 2007

'Tis the Season to be Jolly

Sorry about the long absence, but I may actually be having a relaxing holiday. Imagine!

We are being utterly selfish this year. We aren’t doing a single thing we don’t want to do. I didn’t do a bit of baking (who am I kidding--like I ever do). I sent exactly three Christmas cards, to Cakes’ great-grandmothers. Shopping has been kept to a minimum--ninety percent of it was done at amazon.ca and our friendly liquor store. McHotty and I only do stockings for each other, as we’re always saving for a trip. So, there has been no shlepping around the stinking mall, thank christ for that.

Last night was the second annual neighbourhood Cristmas Crawl. It was fabulous, as expected, though not as debaucherous as last time; we weren’t literally crawling like certain people were last year (oh no, not me). Though our numbers increased by 30% we kept the number of hosting households to six, which was a smart move. People do killer drinks, and it really wrecks you having eight different cocktails in an evening. My faves from last night were the mohitos, the sangria (which marinated in a giant jug in a snowbank all day), and the gingerbread martini. Decadent.

We were going to visit my in-laws this past week, but the weather forecast was sketchy and I was busy finishing papers, so the dear souls, even though they’ve just spent the last three months travelling, packed their gifts in a huge suitcase and took the train here to see us for a couple of days. Oh, do I love them. They brought Cakes back the most colourful, outlandish beaded tunic they could find in India and she was thrilled. I’ve barely been able to get it off her to sleep.

We are not going anywhere in the next week. My brother’s family is coming here for Christmas Eve. I’m going to do my mother-in-law’s famous ribs and a fabulous vegetable dish, all of which I can do tomorrow. Christmas Day it’s just us and my parents. We’re doing the turkey dinner thing, which I don’t really find that hard. We have a great new bakery and a stellar cheese shop around the corner, so I’m set for dessert and appies. Easy.

Oh, and we’ve decided to do an Indian feast for our New Year’s Eve party. Can anyone recommend a good Indian cooking website? I ordered McHotty an Indian cookbook for his stocking, but it’s not going to arrive in time.

In case I don’t get to post again for a few days, I wish you all a wonderful holiday. Relax and have fun. Be merry. Drink and eat and drink some more. Find the time for a little nookie in all this madness. Take lots of pictures to post on your blogs.




Happy Holidays!

Metro, McHotty and Cakes

11 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

Sounds like good times and great food.
I know nothing of this 'cooking' thing you talk about. My idea of Indian cooking, if not Patak's (their website isn't bad, but I am pretty sure that is not what you are looking for!), is takeout from Jaipur Grille.
Merry Christmas!

5:20 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

I don't know a good website but Sugar D is the bomb for Indian cooking. He does a great aloo gobi, a dahl, mattar paneer is one of my favourites though slightly more involved because you have to fry the paneer first. Oh and his mixed veg curry is also good. All from the same cookbook, which we could probably scan some pages from if you'd like. He does it all from scratch, which isn't difficult, it just requires a bit of a capital outlay for all the spices... let me know.

Sounds like a brilliant holiday!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Oh, the President's Choice has some terrific sauces...you just make a stir fry or cook some chicken and add the sauce, and it's really good. Highly recommended if you don't to cook anything too complex (they have the naan and raita and everything).

Sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

Have a wonderful Christmas!

10:54 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Mmmmm... Gingerbread Martinis sound scrumptious. Have yourself a very, merry Christmas!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Christmas sangria? I love your neighbours. I almost bouht Vij's new cookbook - it's supposed to be the hottest indian cookbook from canada this year.

Happy Holidays!

2:48 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

Uhm...you can, like, buy Indian food, already made. What't the deal with cooking on New Year's Eve? Hope you have fun, even if you do cook.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Sounds like fun so far! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! And I'm assuming congrats are in order for finishing your first semester of grad school!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Yum - Indian feast.

Hope you had a great Christmas.

3:07 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Sounds like you guys are doing it up RIGHT. I didn't send out nearly as many cards as I usually do and you know...it took a lot off my plate. I'm thinking about scrapping cards completely next year.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.