metro mama

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sorry Dear, Mommy's Hungover

* Update below

Last night was our first annual neighbourhood Christmas Crawl. Damn, what a good time. Each participating household took turns hosting and providing refreshment. The snacks were most savory and the potables potent. There was champagne, lychee martinis, mojitos, and many other fabulous treats...

...candy cane martinis



...oysters rockefeller



...pecan-encrusted shrimp with a mint sauce (so delish!)



...bacon-wrapped scallops



...smokes



for the grand finale, the organizers of the event had a chocolate fountain, and served port. Yum.



There was much clinking of glasses, laughter, and even dancing!

Alas, all good things must come to an end. I knew it was time to go home to bed when my neighbour and I toppled to the floor during our dip.



Cakes kindly slept in until 8 this morning (I was the sucker that drew morning shift). The good news is, now my shift is done, I’m going to have a nap and catch up on the OC all afternoon (who’s the sucka now, BP).

***

Thanks for all your Christmas dinner suggestions. We’ve decided to keep it fairly traditional as my family is pretty meat-and-potato-ish. Here’s the menu:

turkey with stuffing*
garlic mash potatoes
vegetables supreme (MIL’s fabulous recipe)*
turnip puff
cranberries

*recipes below

I asked my mom to bring dessert.

BP and I are on our own tonight. We’re going to grill a couple of steaks and stare at the tree. Maybe I’ll give him an early Christmas present, as long as he doesn’t overcook the steaks.

Happy Holidays, my friends!

***

Vegetable Supreme

2 Cups fresh broccoli florets and stems
2 Cups fresh cauliflower florets
2 Cups small fresh carrots
2 eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 med. onion finely chopped
1 can mushroom soup
1 Cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup butter melted
1 box seasoned crutons crushed (bread crumbs work just fine)


Cook vegetables separately in boiling water and drain well. Mix together eggs, mushroom soup, mayonnaise, onion and half of the grated cheese. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Distribute evenly in a lightly buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, pour melted butter over this and distribute crushed crutons on the top. Bake for 40 min. at 350. This is better if made a day ahead or early in the day you are using it. Enjoy and lots of love, Grandma


Stuffing

1 lb. sweet Italian turkey or pork sausage, casing removed
2 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, diced
2 Granny Smith or delicious apples, cored and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 to 3 tsp. poultry seasoning
12 cups cubed country-style stuffing mix or 12 cups multigrain bread (24-oz. loaf), cubed and dried in an uncovered bowl overnight
2 cups (or more) low-sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste


1. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Brown the sausage until cooked through. Remove from heat, transfer to a large mixing bowl, and crumble sausage.

2. Melt the butter in the skillet and simmer the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the celery, apples, garlic, and poultry seasoning, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often.

3. Add the apple-vegetable mixture to the bowl of sausage, along with the stuffing mix or bread; mix well. Moisten with the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Cool completely before stuffing the turkey. Makes 20 cups.

4. Tester's tip: Stuffing can be cooked separately in a large glass casserole dish, but more stock may be needed to replace the moisture that usually comes from the turkey cavity.

***
Update

The dinner turned out pretty fucking awesome if I do say so myself.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas lady~~

yeah~~

2:11 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Candy cane martinis and a chocolate fountain? I want to party in your neighborhood!

Sounds like a great menu for Christmas. I love, love, love garlic mashed potatoes.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I must say I am tempted to try your stuffing this year. But unfortunately, I cannot because we are hosting my in-laws and well, let's just say they are not open to new things, and putting pork sausage (mmm... sausage) into a turkey stuffing sounds incredible. (Although the apple thing mixed in seems a bit odd to me.)

Enjoy your Christmas. All the best to you and your family. Take care.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

merry christmas.
love the candy cane martinis.

(how freakin' good is the OC this season??!!)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mmm...candy cane martinis....

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, nice neighbourhood. Sounds like a most excellent party. The only parties I get invited to are the ones I host!

Merry Christmas and, if I don't see you, happy new year.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I am totally drooling over the Christmas Crawl edibles and libations. YUM.

And I'm guessing you had a good time if you and your neighbor fell over during the dip -- LOL!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope Cakes enjoys the spoils of the day!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While everyone is sipping the candy cane martinis, I'll swoop in and eat all the scallops. Yummy!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!

11:09 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

happy holidays! soon ok?

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! Hope the festivities are delightful...

The drinks and food look delish. What fun! I think I need to move to your neighbourhood.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hands down, you are incredible. the menu and the hangover. perfect.

what a terrific neighborhood.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Saturday Christmas party looks WAY more fun than the one I went to was....

The dinner sounds very yummy indeed!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

That Christmas Crawl looks AWESOME! Wow. I'm so impressed by your neigbours! We had to sue one of ours.......

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I come next year? Please?

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We definitely need to move to a more sociable neighborhood. Wow. What fun!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally moving. The 'shwa really kinda sucks for neighbourhood gatherings - at least where we are. One neighbour we've maybe seen 10 times since we moved in, the ones beside us argue constantly, and most of the rest on our street are renters. Candy cane martinis look divine.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like FUN! I wish I lived in your neighbourhood! My neighbours aren't fun at all. I am now craving one of those candy cane martinis!!

Congrats on the yummy dinner going well too.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.