metro mama

Friday, February 29, 2008

So Many Books, So Little Time

Wow, where has the week gone!

This has been my first full week of school and new job, and I haven’t had a nervous breakdown yet. McHotty, though he initally had reservations about all this, has really stepped up to the plate. He has been doing the housework, shopping and cooking. And, when I brought this home for him, he even took up baking!














Do you think it curries favour with your new colleagues when you bring in fresh home-baked cookies?

I’m loving the new job--it is so fantastic being surrounded by books all day. The only problem is, so far I have no time to read them. I’m going home at night to read boring lit theory, when I have a stack of new fiction sitting next to my bed.

Like this...














And this...














I can’t resist this...

Last night I gave in to temptation, and read 100 pages of this manuscript instead of the 19th Century Canadian Poetry I’m supposed to be reading for Monday’s class. Dudes, I’m loving it. Our friend Rebecca isn’t the only blog to book success story. This writer, Catherine, a former Brit who lives in Paris, has a great blog called petite anglaise. In one year, she broke up with the father of her child, had a relationship with a man she met in her comment box, got outed, got dooced, and then got a book deal! Great stuff. I think I’ll have to put off my term papers one more day to find out how it ends.

What books are sitting next to your bed right now? What are you going to crack first?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

C is for cookie. It's good enough for me! My staff knows that cookies win over apples.

So many books, so little time...

10:03 AM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Mmm... cookies. I don't have access to my gmail with your address but I'd be all over Petite Anglaise and/or Remember Me...

10:53 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

Oh ho ho! Cookies!
I have a trip to the library planned for tomorrow but tonight is sadly book free - I might run over to the local library after supper... (I had an out-of-town library card to a much better library, which is a sad necessity)
Your new job sounds fun.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

I have nine books stacked and ready to read, but have been reading at a snails pace for some reason. I have been reading Catherine's blog and will definitely be buying her book...eventually. A few of the books in my stack are:

I just started Eat Pray Love

The Lost Highway (which I won from you-thanks again!!)

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Pillars of The Earth

Rush Home Road

So many books so little time...

1:38 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

I used to bring home-baked cookies to the office when I was on parental leave. They loved me.

Books on the go:
On the Road (third-way through)
Nikolski (dozen pages in)
Anne of Green Gables (chapter 2)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

You had to go and mention cookies, damn you...

I'm reading "Playful Parenting" - sounds dumb, but it's really quite good.

6:26 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm sort of reading My Horizontal Life, but it worked its way into the bathroom somehow and I keep forgetting about it. I started The Glass Castle a few weeks ago and now that I'm done My Sister's Keeper, I'm going to focus on it.

After I'm done that I'm going to get going on Raising Your Spirited Child.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

I've officially moved my books from my bedside to the bookshelf. Sadly, i won't be reading any "extra" books until after my MA (so late summer). Now, i'm slowly dying over term papers!

Hobby does some cooking, shopping and laundry. Not enough!

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also been reading Petite Anglaise's blog for sometime now...it's great and can't wait to read the book.

On my shelf right now I am almost done reading
Lord John & The Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon
Shopoholic & Baby by S.Kinsella
19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult

I envy your job!!! I think most co-workers would love cookies...I know I would.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the new job! I can't believe how well you can balance it all. I have nothing to balance, really, yet I feel like I'm always doing nothing of significance.

As for the cookies, I try not to buy them because surprisingly, I will bake when inspired. Cooking is still the battle I'm trying to...er...start?

P.S. I know, I love Secretary too! And thanks for the tip about Boston. It's pretty high on my list. Now if only I can convince the bf that east coast is a good thing...

3:14 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

Martha Stewart's Cookies of course ;
thank you thank you..
can't wait to start baking.

oh and Water For Elephants- Sara Gruen

glad to hear your first week went so well

9:30 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Gosh that cookie book looks delicious. Really am planning to pick a copy up, because that recipe for carrot cake cookies? My idea of heaven.

Petite Anglaise sounds terrific... it's now on my list - both book and website!

Ooh, books on my bedside table. The Girls by Lori Lansen, which is almost finished. Then:

Dreams of My Father - Barack Obama (partially complete)
Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley (partially complete)
The Audacity of Hope - Barack Obama
Peony in Love - Lisa See
The Collapse of Globalism - John Ralston Saul
End of East - Jen Sookfong

plus more that I can't remember off the top of my head!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I love fresh-cookies. Make me some, OK?

And most of the books I read these days are for the toddler set.

2:01 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

i am devouring michael pollan's in defense of food.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.