metro mama

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Andrew Davidson's My New Hero

I’m embarrassed about how infrequently I’ve been writing here lately. Considering my job allows me to blog at work, you’d think I’d be blogging at work, right?

Well, work’s been pretty fucking busy. And last week was sales conference—I’m just getting a handle on all of our fall titles, and now we’re planning our work for spring ’09! My brain is full.

Now that school’s out I’m reading tons and tons of books. I’m sheepish I haven’t kept up with my reviews, but I’m pretty mentally exhausted after all the papers I’ve written this year, and I just wanna read for pleasure and not have to analyse it. I do pledge to do a big round-up post on my favourite recent reads in the coming week. I have read some really fab stuff.

Speaking of fab, you’ve heard me going on and on (especially if you know me in the flesh) about Andrew Davidson’s The Gargoyle. I’ve had a free ad for the book in my sidebar for a month or so now, and I only do that for very special people.

This book is special indeed--there’s something for everyone. It’s Michael Ondaatje meets Stephen King meets Dante Aligheri. Seriously. The first hundred pages are a white-knuckle ride that left me breathless. I couldn’t get enough of Davidson’s creepy, twisted metaphors, and I was fascinated with the detailed descriptions of the burn-recovery process. Davidson did his research. But above all, this is a magnificent love story, one that can even affect a cynical, unromantic atheist like me.

I had the pleasure to meet the genius behind this book at a reception last week, and I am enamored. Andrew Davidson is awesome. Soft-spoken and modest, he took his time with each and every person who waited in the long line for him to sign their books. But rather than gushing on, I’ll just leave you with the pics.






For links to all of Andrew Davidson’s media appearances, join The Gargoyle Book Club on Facebook.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Mae said...

I'm not exactly sure what the reason is but The Gargoyle isn't a book I would pick up on my own. I am ONLY going to buy it and read it because of your rave reviews. You have never disappointed me yet with any of your reviews and this one is pretty postitive.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I like your review!

And am SO JEALOUS that you met the author!

11:45 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I would love to talk with him. You know I was half on half off about the book. But really, so many people are LOVING it.

YOu are the naughtiest angel I ever did see.

fallen I would say.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I wish I could have been at the reception and met the author. Reading the book right now and loving it - more on that later. Must read.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

I am reading it right now to the detriment of everything else in my life - it's that AMAZING!

10:29 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I absolutely agree with you here - this is the most engaging, addictive book I've read in a long time. I have about 50 pages to go and then my own review will go up. I'll try to think of something original to say!

p.s. I also agree with ms porter that I might not have picked it up on my own accord. The cover/title is a bit more gothic than I would go for. How glad I am that I didn't let that stop me from reading it.

12:59 PM  
Blogger sam {temptingmama} said...

It's next on my list of reads.

By the way, totally LOVE the winged shirt you have! AWESOME.

4:12 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

This book is still on my pile, but after some I am up for reviewing, I will be getting to it soon, after all the good stuff I've been hearing! And burn recovery - *shudder* It's a horrible thing, but must be fascinating to read about... ooh, maybe it will move higher in the pile, now!

meanwhile, we are plannign for winter '09 programming now, too. Bends the brain to do it so far ahead, doesn't it?

6:27 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Oh I love the T.

I just finished it the other night and am working on my review. The end part just took me on a ride through hell (literally). It was fantastic and I just couldn't put it down.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

On my to-be-read pile and about at the top of it.

I love getting book recommendations (and books too - thanks Julie!) for books that I might not have picked up otherwise (ditto Kgirl and Ms. Porter above).

8:54 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

You know, it's totally not a book I would have thought of but since you wrote about it so glowingly I am TOTALLY going to look it up now.

4:29 PM  
Blogger A. Nonny Mouse said...

LOVED the book. Loved it. Couldn't get through it fast enough.

Thank you so much for arranging for us to get them at BFF.

4:07 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

I'm reading this at the moment- half way through and loving it!
lucky you to meet Andrew in person.
ah the perks...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

very cool to get to meet the author! I'm very interested in reading this book after you chatting it up!!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.