metro mama

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Because One Can't Get Too Happy

I’d been having a fabulous couple of weeks. So good, in fact, I haven’t even had time to blog about it!

Saturday night I had a few of my favourite gals from my former workplace over for beers in the backyard. Sunday night I caught a couple of very funny fringe shows with my nomad friend Christine, who’s in town for the week.

Monday I walked to work for the first time, and I was in heaven. I can take the Lakeshore path, cut through the Distillery District and snake my way up past the St. Lawrence Market. It’s about a 45 minute walk. Perfect. It is so nice being downtown: there are nice places to eat! A colleague took me to lunch on a patio on Front Street for my first day; Terroni is around the corner!

On top of all this, my in-laws picked Cakes up on Monday and have taken her to Kingston for the week! McHotty and I plan to take advantage of Summerlicious and have a hot date lined up for tonight.

But last night the axe fell. I came home from my class at 10:30 last night to find McHotty removing the contents of our basement. Had I come home a couple of hours earlier, I would have seen the 6 inches of dirty water littered with floating toys (photos coming soon). Luckily, it wasn’t sewage. Thankfully, all of my best books are in my new fancy bookcase upstairs. And all of Cakes favourite toys were in her room. But still. Oy. What a fucking mess. And the jury is still out on who is responsible, and if insurance will cover it. There is also a question of whether the builder has any responsibility. This kind of shit makes me want to head for the liquor cabinet.

To add insult to injury, I had taken on the very painful task of trying to coordinate 14 homeowners to purchase the same wrought iron fence, to finish off the front of our homes. And when I say painful, I’m not kidding—the past few weeks have involved many, many emails, conversations, and meetings. And a few bad feelings. We had just finally all reached an agreement. The contractor was to come and pick up deposits tonight. Now all bets are off. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

So, tonight, come what may, McHotty and I are taking advantage of our alone time. We’re closing the door on the mess, going for a nice dinner, and then hitting the wine bar.

And how was your week?

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Oh no! Were any of the adjoining units flooded, too? I hope it's an insurable thing and that not too many of your personal items were irreparably damaged.

It would be great to have an office to walk to. These days I just walk down my upstairs hallway. :)

11:09 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Everyone's basement flooded with that crazy monsoon last night! Ours flooded a bit and normally doesn't do anything like that, and the entire daycare flooded, so this morning found them with shopvacs running, and all kids outside. Hope cleanup isn't too terrible!

And ooh, date night... OUr alone time these days is all about the reno. Or sleep.

12:35 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

That sooooo sucks. We also have water coming in - it travels down the kitchen wall into the basement. And we have zero cash to fix anything right now. gulp.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

That really sucks - try your best to drink it away tonight 'kay?

3:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes when it rains like it did I avoid going in the basement just to make sure I don't find anything

Hope you have a great dinner!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the dinner and the night! The rest of the crap can wait until tomorrow!

Hope the rest of the week goes smoothly.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Oh no! Your lovely basement!!

Hey - it sounds like your office is near mine. If so, we should meet for lunch sometime when I go back to work.

10:46 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

Whoa!
I used to live in that 'hood--we had four floods.

I used to work in you work 'hood and, yes, the options were limitless.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, the same thing happened to my grandfather. He had an old big-screen (projection) TV in his basement, which flooded one winter while he was in Florida. Insurance paid for the flood damage--a whole new basement--and suddenly the TV was an almost-new, $2,500 piece of machinery. Make the most of the situation: discover ruined valuables and now-warped walnut floors.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.