metro mama

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blink and It's Gone

I still don’t have time to write much of anything here. Sherwood is sleeping fabulously at night, for which I am deeply, deeply grateful. The only downside is that his only naps during the day are when I’m walking him in his stroller, or when he dozes on my chest. I can read for hours while he nurses, but I’m not talented enough to type well with one hand. Right now he’s dozing on McHotty’s chest, so I’ll steal a few minutes here.

I’m not going to complain that I don’t have time to do anything. Because I know Sherwood is my last baby I am so very, very conscious of not wishing this time away. You know, already I can barely remember Cakes’ babyhood. I didn’t make the conscious effort to treasure it as I know now that I should, and I want to do better this time. These days are indescribably precious, yet so fleeting: the warmth of him nuzzled into my neck for a snooze; the trusting, vulnerable stare as he nurses; the heart-exploding first smiles and coos. It brings me to tears to think that in five years I won’t be able to remember this exactly as it was. The best I can do is relax, try to fix the sensations in my mind, and attempt to record them permanently this time, even if it’s only hasty sketches here and lots and lots of photos.

Speaking of photos, doesn’t this one make you smile?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

He is so, so precious! That smile definitely warms my heart.

4:41 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

It sure does. And you are so right about the trusting, vulnerable gazes of a nusring baby. Those make my heart ache with love, even when my babies are well past newborn.

10:20 AM  
Blogger moplans said...

great photo. he is such a little man already!

1:09 PM  
Anonymous 6512andgrowing said...

Seems that raising children is such a push/pull, race/crawl. Great that you're slowing down to appreciate it.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful baby! I had a third baby, unexpectedly at age 45. I totally get what you're saying about actively trying to cherish that time. Enjoy!

9:25 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

awe he's so adorable- and he looks just like his big sister.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Oooh, I see your face in his. What an adorable little man.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.