metro mama

Friday, August 11, 2006

Metro Mama Reviews: The Undomestic Goddess

After two weeks of seriously dedicated reading, I needed something light, (both literally and figuratively) to read by the lake. It needed to be light enough to hold in one hand, freeing my other hand for my frosty beer, as well as light in the figurative sense, so my beer-addled brain could digest it without strain. I found what I was looking for in
The Undomestic Goddess, Sophie Kinsella’s latest book.

I’m a big fan of the Shopaholic series, and Kinsella’s newest heroine, Samantha, is equally charming.

Samantha is a young, workaholic, hotshot lawyer for a big London firm, who is up for partnership. When she makes a terrible mistake at work, she flees the building, and takes a train to the country. She stops for directions at an estate, where she is mistaken for an interviewee for a housekeeping position. Desperate for a place to sleep for the night, she plays along, and lands the position.

You can probably guess the rest. Of course, there is a handsome gardener who works with Samantha (hmmm…now I’m distracted...thinking about the gardener from Desperate Housewives...). He helps teach her how to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

The Undomestic Goddess
is the perfect accompaniment for a hot summer day: like an ice-cream cone—empty calories, but satisfying and sweet.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this will be my next download off of Audible.com. I love Kinsella books. I have all of the shopaholic books. They are great to take on an airplane ride. Certainly makes business trips a little more bearable.

2:22 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

mmmmmmmm... ice cream (drooling uncontrollably onto keyboard)

I agree, a good, light (or is that lite?) dessert read for summer is always in order. Thanks for the review!

6:02 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

i'm sure i will read this one; i have her shopping books.

i've just gone from a period of pretty heavy can-lit to 'the devil wears prada'. i might need something to get the brain cells flowing before i embark on the kinsella. but i'll get there.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this one, too. I like Kinsella's books because they are entertaining without taxing the brain too much. And they always make me shake my head and laugh out loud about the silly situations that her characters find themselves in!

Thanks for stopping by my blog last night! :-)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

It's also a great audio cd for long car rides. My hubby and I took it with on our drive to Montreal. It was perfect....I liked it, too! So, over the top, which is, of course, typical of Kinsella!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.