metro mama

Sunday, August 13, 2006

My Favourite Subject

Holy. You guys always think I’m going to write about sex.

Nope, I was tagged by Bub and Pie for a really fun book meme:

1. One book that changed your life:

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler . Being in my thirties when we decided to make a baby, I was worried it would take a long time to conceive. I read this book and followed it to the letter. I took my temp every morning, charted the consistency of my cervical mucous (god, what kind of google hits is that going to get me) and lo and behold! Conceived in the first month. Papa wants to try a more relaxed method next time, however. Being ordered to perform every day for a week because my temp had risen did not make his temperature rise.

2. One book that you've read more than once:

I read a lot of books more than once, but the one I’ve read the most is probably Pride and Prejudice. It is still my favourite book. I’m also with Bub and Pie on Anne of Green Gables. I can’t wait to read it again—to Cakes.

3. One book you would want on a desert island:

So hard to decide. Do I want something I haven’t read? If so, I’d have to say War and Peace because it’s long and would keep me busy for a while. On the other hand, if it’s my last book ever, I might want a much-loved title that I would read over and over and that would be P&P.

4. One book that made you laugh:

I don’t read many funny books. I tend to gravitate towards darker stuff. One book I can think of is ‘Tis, by Frank McCourt. Much more light-hearted than Angela’s Ashes.

5. One book that made you cry:

Many books have made me cry. One that comes to mind right away is Shake Hands With The Devil, by Romeo Dallaire. Heartbreaking. It is also one of the rare books that I did not finish.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

Segue, Carol Shields unfinished novel. I loved Unless (her last completed novel) so much.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Does a short story count? I recently read Hairball by Margaret Atwood (from Wilderness Tips) and it was disturbing. I was trying to eat lunch at the time and it made me nauseous.

8. The book that you are currently reading:

I just finished Dropped Threads 3 (will review for you soon!). The next book I’m going to read is Before I Wake, by Robert J. Wiersema's for Scarbie's book club.

9. One book that you have been meaning to read:

Vanity Fair, by Thackeray. Somehow, it keeps slipping under the radar.

Now, I tag and Penelope and Kittenpie.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

thanks mm for the tag (wherever would you have gotten the idea to tag me?...).
love your list, and can't wait to get to mine. i'll do you proud.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Girl con Queso said...

Great list. Cool idea.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Haute Mama said...

Fyi- A light read for summer is...The Undomesticated Goddess...Sophie Kinsella. (Shopaholic series)

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great meme. I loved the Anne of Green Gables books...man, I got lost in those stories (and the CBC miniseries).

8:33 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

You are getting so much reading in! Found a few photos of my girls and cakes from the wedding today! Will send them with the same speed as the other;)

Anne

9:25 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

Ooo, I read *Vanity Fair* and loved it...couldn't put it down. It's really long, though. Can you spare the time? I rarely have time to read these days...I mean anything other than blogs....

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Dropped Threads. I have the first one. I keep meaning to read the second one, but I always forget about it... Thanks for the reminder, I am going to the library later today. I am going to pick it up for sure.

I am holding out hope that Scarbie will finangle me a copy of Before I Wake too, I want to join in.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Taking Charge of Your Fertility- that book changed my life too.

12 months to conceive baby George, and man- that book was my bible.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I really loved your responses to the meme. Added some must reads to my growing list. Thanks :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

AC: I got the first pic. Thanks so much!

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.