metro mama

Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006, You've Been Good To Me

He has spent his life best who has enjoyed it most. –Samuel Butler

The last day of the year coincides with my birthday. It is on this day I am usually my most emotional and introspective. There were a few miserable years I was very grateful to see the end of. There have been years when I’ve been determined the next one will be better: I’ll be a better person, have better luck, work harder. I often have mixed feelings about a year, and about myself. I like some things, loathe others. This year, for the first time in my life, I can reflect on the previous 364 days without ambivalence: this has been the happiest year of my life.

I am happy. Content. I have a daughter who delights and astounds me every day. I’m so proud of her it hurts. I have a husband whose patience and devotion never ceases to amaze me. I have a supportive and generous family, good friends, and a home I love. It’s been a very successful academic year. The list goes on-what a year it’s been.

I’m also more content about myself than I’ve ever been. I’m not making any resolutions: I’m pretty disciplined, so I’m already doing the things that are really important to me. There are many areas in which I could improve, but fuck it. I’m good enough. For now.

I’m happy where I am right now, and also so excited and optimistic about the year to come. My plans: try to make a new baby, start my MA, finally see Paris, Rome, and London. I think, with amazement, life could even get better. It could also get worse.

I’m writing this, not to brag, but to record how I feel, at this moment. I know how the wheel of fortune turns, and when it does, I want to look back on this and remind myself that I have known joy, good fortune, peace—and I recognized it when I had it.

As good as it gets.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

Happy Birthday!
I agree absolutely that we have to celebrate our happy times because, as you say, the wheel will turn.
Congratulations on a fantastic year and I cannot wait to hear about your progress on the plans for '07.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your plans for 2007 sound delightful- i would love to see paris, rome, and london.

if you go, post pictures- mabye you'll even be there with a growing belly!

11:56 AM  
Blogger myredwagon said...

Happy Birthdy and happiest wishes for the new year. I hope 2007 brings you health, happiness and much love.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Mouse said...

Happy Birthday!

How nice to savor the moment!

12:25 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

sweet. you deserve all the happiness you live....

Happy Birthday, have a joyous evening!

12:39 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

Happy Birthday & Happy New Year!

what a amazing post (as usual) I can totally relate.
It's such a great feeling to finally feel truly happy and content.
2006 was definitely a good one.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday Julie!!!

And you are better than good enough ... and I could totally feel the happiness spilling out of your post. Happiness you deserve.

May all your 2007 dreams come true!

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Hopefully the upcoming year can live up to the standards set by this one. ;)

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful birthday and lots more of what you got going on in the New Year...

3:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year.
It seems like you are in a good place :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Happy birthday, girl!

I love hearing you on top of the world and soaking it in. I hope next year is all you could wish for and more.

And I hope to see you along the way!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you've had a fabulous year and have more good stuff to come. Cakes is beautiful, and I'm glad to have "virtually" met you.

Cheers.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and Happy Birthday! My late aunt's birthday was December 31st also. So your post reminded me of her--that is a good thing! And you are so right about this year being special and the caption on your photo is the truest bit of all... She is as good as it gets, isn't she?

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year...and Happy Birthday. :)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I hope 2007 is a wonderful year for you and your family. Good luck with the baby making too. :-)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you could only see my ear to ear grin.

i love this post. bravo to you for having arrived to your best life.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you wrote about the contentment, so that you can look back on it. This year, I've learned a lot about appreciating what I have.

Happy Birthday!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Happy Belated Birthday! And a very happy new year.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Well-said, and congratulations on a successful year. May 2007 be just as wonderful as you can possible stand, without risking repetition...

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year (belated)! It's good to record contentment.

I think this has been a good year for Capricorns. My birthday was Boxing Day, and I am pretty happy with things too.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!

Wishing you lots of luck with your New Year 'quests' - new baby, education goals and travel - all good!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.