metro mama

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Home from the North

I love visiting up north, but my god, it feels like you’re driving to the north pole, it’s so fucking far. Cakes did really well in the car this time though. We’ve learned it’s all about the DVD player for long drives (our neighbour lent us theirs and it was magical). Cakes was pretty happy to chill out and watch Hi-5. We stopped at Weber on the way for fab cheeseburgers and fries. Cakes is so odd—she won’t eat burgers, hotdogs or fries and ketchup like a normal kid. She kept looking around for some brie or smoked salmon (that’s about all she ate all weekend—that and shreddies).

We had a super visit with my SIL and her hubbie (M & T) as well as crazymumma and her wonderful family (jen, she gave me a big hug from you). We made the most of a rainy Saturday by sleeping in, back-to-back movies for the kids, eating chips all day, and tons of cheese and wine. M & T cooked up a veritable feast for dinner--steaks, corn on the cob, portabella mushrooms with goat cheese, T’s famous caesar salad--and we even managed to top it all off with brownies (made by cm’s youngest) and ice cream. And of course, more cheese and wine. I’m afraid to get on the scale.

Did y’all have a good weekend? How’d you cope with the rain?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

I did get on the scale babe, and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Wasn't that fabulous fun? Cakes is my best friend FOREVER now...she even gave me a real live hug and threw Dirty Simon at me like a hundred times.

I have seven million loads of laundry and about double the amount of scitter bites on my ankles.

xo I'll post later about watching the real you come out behind a hand of poker cards.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Oh, I'm so excited! Somebody besides me who will finally admit to her Hi-5 consumption!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Ah, the DVD player! I will never again travel without one.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Before having a kid, I use to hate those DVD's players.

Now that I'm on the other side...I need one. Real bad.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here visiting from crazymumma.

Alice Munro AND So You Think You Can Dance? I think I'll have to come back.

8:59 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

We swear by our DVD player for trips even if the sound of children's shows drives us around the bend. It's a zillion times better than hearing the trapped squeals and cries of a frustrated toddler in a car seat.

Love Cakes taste for the good life!

We spent the thunderstorm in our pop up tent! It was great fun.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I've always been opposed to the car DVD players, but I have a strong suspicion that we will be purchasing one. I'm weak. I also lurve TV.

We only had rain on Saturday afternoon, and we went to Toys R Us and the mall as a diversion. It's hard to find free indoor stuff to do! We did spend money on Big Boy Underwear for the Boy - not that he'll ever wear them, of course..

11:05 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I love visiting up north, but my god, it feels like you’re driving to the north pole, it’s so fucking far.

I KNOW. But it's worth it...at least, that's what I tell myself on the car ride home. ;)

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.